No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Quiz: Who am I?  (Read 4316 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Quiz: Who am I?
« on: February 22, 2011, 10:01:22 PM »
Blown glass, so hollow inside, a little shy of 7" tall, very slight iridescence. It's okay to answer on the group, since I know many people will know the answer right away.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline tam bam

• Members
Re: Quiz: Who am I?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 10:07:15 PM »
I know you know I have the answer!  LOL!  It's a Franco Moretti owl.  Was it the one I passed up with my birds?

tam bam

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 10:20:04 PM »
I'll bet it was the same one, Tami. It was the same seller. If this is the same finish, it doesn't look like scavo. The glass is clouded in some fashion, then has a very light iridized finish. I am really impressed with the way Franco made the "ears." They are the best part. The dirty birdy needs a bath before I take some serious shots of it.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 10:25:12 PM »
I just wondering about the finish on the owl.  What exactly would you call the cloudy appearance?  I said scavo because that was the closest thing it resembled to me.  Could it possibly be some type of corroso finish or something else we don't have a name for yet.

It must be the same owl I passed up because I have one of his in a different series.  I wish that nice red owl would come back up for sale.  He was super! 

tam bam

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 10:29:26 PM »
The clouding looks like it is inside the glass to me. Perhaps there is a touch of the chemicals used for opaline glass in the mix? After seeing the ears on this owl, I will definitely buy anymore Franco owls I see out there. The little details make a simple piece of glass into a nice one.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 01:25:07 AM »
I found a fish just like our pieces.  I LOVE it!  

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/signed-franco-moretti-murano-glass-fish-venice

I am so glad you purchased the owl.  I was kind of feeling bad for the poor fellow since I have his mates and now that I know he has a worthy buyer I can certainly sleep better now.   :anb:

tam bam

P. S. - Here is my owl.

http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz23/TamiPietras12/FrancoMorettippwowl002.jpg

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 01:24:05 PM »
Love your cute(?) owl Tam Bam.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 08:12:29 PM »
Thanks so much, Ross.   :smg:
tam bam

Offline waltl

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 01:51:38 AM »
Hi, I was a glassblower. It is almost certainly fumed. That means it is sprayed with metallic solution while it is hot. Often Ferric Chloride or Stannous Chloride.

I just wondering about the finish on the owl.  What exactly would you call the cloudy appearance?  I said scavo because that was the closest thing it resembled to me.  Could it possibly be some type of corroso finish or something else we don't have a name for yet.

It must be the same owl I passed up because I have one of his in a different series.  I wish that nice red owl would come back up for sale.  He was super! 

tam bam

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 02:32:20 AM »
Hi, I was a glassblower. It is almost certainly fumed. That means it is sprayed with metallic solution while it is hot. Often Ferric Chloride or Stannous Chloride.

Is there an opening in the bottom to the hollow area?  Just wondering -- as once I saw a piece of glass that looked that way, and the guy was in the process of cleaning it out -- as it was tobacco smoke that had collected inside the hollow piece from years and years in a Smoking household...............just a silly stupid suggestion IF air (smokey air) could get up into it.......as that too could also be possible over the years.....just a thought

:24: :24: :24:  the Village Idiot here that did not see a signature signed on the side  :24: :24: :24:  I will not live that down, for even myself..... ;D
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand