No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Small green bowl encased in amber  (Read 4429 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Small green bowl encased in amber
« on: January 12, 2006, 04:13:01 PM »
This just has to be a piece of Murano, but any ideas by whom?  The green is encased in a lovely golden amber that catches the light beautifully.  The inside walls narrow considerably down to the bottom where you can just fit your thumb.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/th3011.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/th3004.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/th3012.jpg

Many thanks :P

Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 12:53:31 AM »
I love these little / medium thick walled Sommerso bowls (sometimes called 'Geode'), they come in many shapes and were made by many Italian (Murano) firms.

Here are two of a few I own that have been attributed to Cenedese, Seguso, etc.

triangular form no label

pinched form

label on base of above bowl ‘Genuine Venetian Glass – Handmade – Made in Murano Italy’

As with my bowls yours is definitely Murano, I can’t get a maker for my pieces, even the one with the label - I think so many companies made them.

So Murano yes, maker can’t help, as I am still researching all mine.

Maybe someone will be able to place your piece by its colours or height and shape?

on eBay

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 10:11:57 AM »
Many thanks Adam :P  Your geode bowls are lovely.  I would hazard a guess that they date back to the 50s(?) My little bowl could be part of the same family as two of the ones shown in the link.  I've never seen so many pictures on a listing - but effective :!:  

Anne E.B

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 04:14:12 AM »
I think your bowl is nicer than the ones in the eBay link and they sold for nearly $200 for 3 :)

I always sell these little bowls very well, I think people like them for display with larger pieces of sommerso. That's what I do, they look great on a plastic stand alongside my faceted vases and bottles.

btw - you take great pics

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 01:33:40 PM »
Thanks David :P   I HAD to do a module on photography many years ago at Uni.  I hated it!  I didn't mind the composition side, but having to then develop the films..... :evil:  Anything 'technical' and I'm the kiss of death :roll:

I've just spotted a very similar bowl to mine in Millers 2005 book, by Toso c.50s. I'll be ebaying it some time this week, so will have to hedge my bets and include that as a possibility also :roll: :lol:  

Anne E.B

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 04:07:45 AM »
Hi Anne,
Some of these small geodes, specially in the green and amber color have been made by the ICET Company. I have seen many of them lately at flea markets here in Florida marked by this company.
We have talked a little about the company on other threads.
Here's one - http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,1824.0.html

Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 10:12:00 AM »
Thanks for your comments Javier and for the link 8)  I'll check it out.

Its at times like this, I wish I'd carried on collecting Toby jugs instead! They're all stamped on the base making it so much easier  :roll: :lol:

Anne E.B

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 10:04:16 PM »
Hi Anne

Your comment about doing photography at Uni many years ago takes me back to my days at Art College in the early 1980s.

I did photography during my year’s foundation course and liked it; I do so love the dark. I can see myself in one of those tiny pitch black cubicles with a girl I was later to date, unravelling film from one little tube to another - then to the developing room and the smell of the acid and developing fluid - ahhhh

I loved the SLR cameras as well; they used to weigh about 2 kilos LOL.

I must admit it was a drawn out process and today’s digital cameras are so convenient, they have become such a huge part of the internet research/retail/personal website revolution. I hear that 8 mega pixels is equivalent to the accuracy the SLR

I have 6 mpx that does me

Ref your vase/geode - the ICET link is interesting, I remember the thread well.

I can also see the 'Toso' link you are getting Anne.

I am getting an identical vase in virtually the same colours as yours in book J Miller 2005 pp316. I see they a few vases attributed to 'Toso' - what Toso they are reffering to is anyone's guess - Ivo mentions (A-Z) about 9 or 10 likely candidates from Alberto Toso & Cie, Aureliano, Barovier, Fratelli to Toso Vetre d'Arte :?  :?

I use these Millers books less and less these days :roll:  :roll:

Adam P

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 10:07:21 PM »
Adam said:  
I use these Millers books less and less these days  

Until you said that, I hadn't realised that I don't use mine at all any more...what a waste of money they were then!   :roll:  I wonder if their other sections are better than the glass ones?
I am not a man

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 10:16:58 PM »
Quote from: "David555"
Hi Anne
 I do so love the dark. I can see myself in one of those tiny pitch black cubicles with a girl I was later to date, unravelling film from one little tube to another - then to the developing room and the smell of the acid and developing fluid - ahhhh
Adam P

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Those were the days :twisted:

Anne E.B. :lol:
Anne E.B

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand