No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Molineaux Webb reg 233768 curiosities  (Read 1115 times)

Offline neilh

• Members
Molineaux Webb reg 233768 curiosities
« on: February 25, 2011, 06:30:04 PM »
This small item, Molineaux Webb registration 233768 from 1894, which I think is an ashtray, has three minor curiosities.

Firstly there are examples in coloured glass (see photo below of blue version courtesy of Rob Young) which is pretty rare for Molineaux Webb pressed glass. Everything tends to be plain or frosted bar candlesticks or ornamental pieces in my experience to date - though I guess you could call this an ornamental ashtray...

Secondly I have an example here where the electroplate survives. I've seen a good number of glass & electroplate Percival Vickers pieces but hardly any for Molineaux Webb.

Thirdly, and of most interest perhaps, the design varies a fair bit from what was actually drawn out and now deposited in the National Archives. I have tried to illustrate by drawing lines on one of the images. The three parallel lines near the edge do not appear in the design sketch. The plain rectangular panels are drawn as part of the crinkled border on the sides of the piece. I wonder why the design and real world example don't match (it does have a reg number on it by the way). Maybe it was simply drawn wrong when the sketch was submitted. Or maybe there was some technical difficulty with placing the plain rectangles in a crinkled edge. Either way, this is the first registered piece I've seen where the original pattern has been so abandoned.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand