No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: The ultimate in Czech glass  (Read 5778 times)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
The ultimate in Czech glass
« on: February 26, 2011, 01:28:11 AM »
OK, I admit it. Envy has nibbled at my toes a couple of times this week, Anik with her Matura vase and Michael with his Hlava piece. But with arrival this morning of Evi, the wonder postwoman, I envy no more!

Now, I know some of you will look at the little glass thistles and think it somewhat sad, pathetic even, that the Scotsman so far from home should take such solace from two little pieces of glass made in Czechoslovakia, whose main recommendation is that they are in the shape of thistle, all consideration of nemo me impune lacessit aside. However, the true tartan aficionado will recognize as I do (my first job was in a, no, the tartan mill) that the lid of the box that contains these little gems is the rare and much sought after tartan, the MacParik tartan.

It's named, we are led to believe, after Jindrich MacParik, who came to Scotland in the 1920's, whispered words of wisdom in Ysart ears, one night quietly showed  Edinburgh & Leith workers how glass should be cut, and, playing under an assumed name, scored the winning goal for Airdrieonians the one time they won Scottish Cup.

I stress that, because of the incredible sentimental value it has for me,  this item is not for sale. However, please consult your bank manager first if you are considering making me an offer.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline bOBA

• Members
Re: The ultimate in Czech glass
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 01:02:19 PM »
Classy glass David!
I have never seen something so clearly designed for the export market in my life! I wonder if there is a Shamrock shaped version with a green box too! Jindrich may recognise the factory pattern too, though I slightly doubt the extistance of a MacParik tartan!

Robert (bOBA)

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 12:35:03 AM »
I'm madly jealous David. That's a fine example of Scottish  :sc: kitsch. If you truly not interested in keeping them, do let me know. I could give them a fine, fine home.

Carolyn

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 12:55:00 AM »
Carolyn

Thanks for the kind offer.  To my surprise/horror, these are the first pieces of glass I've bought for a while that my wife actually likes--and she's a Canadian of Scandinavian background.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 01:39:53 AM »
Well dang. But if anyone sees any more like this... :sc: R us.

Carolyn

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 01:48:51 AM »
Carolyn I saw one today in town - I'm back there on Tuesday so if it's still in the shop I'll bag it for you. Keep your fingers crossed!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 04:05:24 AM »
  :huh:

I know i am dim...but???... :ho:

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 09:29:35 AM »
Hi David
this piece came from Jablonecke sklarny, possibly older pattern refreshed by Vaclav Hanus. Late 50ties, beg 60ties.

Jindrich (not Mac and not Donald) :-)
www.cs-sklo.cz

shugdens

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 10:28:55 AM »
I'm not being rude but is this a tounge in cheek thread? I come across these quite often, labled & boxed & usualy ignore them.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 10:50:26 AM »
No it's not tongue in cheek entirely; Carolyn and David both live in Canada. David is an ex-pat Scot and Carolyn's husband has Scottish roots. They don't find them in Canada. Carolyn collects Scottish kitsch (most of which was/is never made in Scotland).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand