No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: The ultimate in Czech glass  (Read 5781 times)

shugdens

Re: The ultimate in Czech glass
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 11:38:47 AM »
No it's not tongue in cheek entirely; Carolyn and David both live in Canada. David is an ex-pat Scot and Carolyn's husband has Scottish roots. They don't find them in Canada. Carolyn collects Scottish kitsch (most of which was/is never made in Scotland).

He he, I cant talk I got very excited about a piece of uranium glass i basicaly found on the floor that turned out to be a kettle handle.
If I see another set I'll grab em if there not to expencive if you cant get hold of them.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 11:57:47 AM »
I see these around too.
I'm also sure I've got a load of Scottish kitsch. Just for a start, I have a (Wiltshaw & Robinson, pre-1927) Carltonware cauldron in blush ware, with enamelled lucky White Heather from Montrose on it.
I can't currently reach a load of tot glasses, which might include Scottish themes.

Have any collectors of Scottish kitsch got one of the Ysart collapsed whisky bottle ashtrays?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

shugdens

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 01:07:07 PM »
I see these around too.
I'm also sure I've got a load of Scottish kitsch. Just for a start, I have a (Wiltshaw & Robinson, pre-1927) Carltonware cauldron in blush ware, with enamelled lucky White Heather from Montrose on it.
I can't currently reach a load of tot glasses, which might include Scottish themes.

Have any collectors of Scottish kitsch got one of the Ysart collapsed whisky bottle ashtrays?
I missed a Czech glass labled scotsman sculptue at auction before xmas, it only went for £5 in the end. I reaserched the maker but forgot who it was.

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 09:03:48 PM »
 :huh:

I know i am dim...but???... :ho:

It's okay Kane. I collect Scottish Kitsch and these lovely dishes certainly qualify under that heading. I am not of the understanding that these are high end art glass!  :thud:

Carolyn

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 09:07:46 PM »
I see these around too.

Hey Sue, so far I have managed to resist the urge. It's important to note that I don't just collect glass, but all types of things.

Carolyn

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 09:38:55 AM »
I am certain this is a slightly humerous post and that David is well aware of the Scottish Kitsch value of these items, more than any commercial value, which is minimal I am sure! "Scottish Kitsch" sums them up perfectly. It is also great for Jindrich to have attributed the piece, which is very welcome too!!!

Robert (bOBA)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 02:34:25 PM »
I got all excited when I read the heading "The ultimate in Czech glass"... dear me.  ;D

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 03:58:59 PM »
Robert:

Are you suggesting that when I paid $5.99 for these I paid too much?  I know that Anik can buy three very good Czech pieces for this price.

Thanks to Jindrich for the attribution. They are quite well made. Does your reply ("not mac") mean that we won't be seeing a picture of you in your kilt, Jindrich?

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 04:53:27 PM »
 :hi:
I just peeked at your albums, David, in the unknowns, you have a pink thing with bubbles and inclusions (564 Chinese) which we believe is Romanian - does it have a bright sort of rainbowy lustre on the outside?
And the 582 thing, blue and green insidey bits, bears some resemblance to bits by John Orwar Lake I've seen, though somebody who knows his work better than I do should really be consulted before any attribution is made.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 12:04:37 AM »
Sue:

Thanks for looking at my Unknowns. The "pink thing with bubbles and inclusions (564 Chinese)" has a clear exterior and an unpolished base. Romanian would certainly be a possibility. Any sites I could check?

I see what you mean about colours in the other piece and John Orwar Lake, whose stuff I really like; in fact, a blue and green vase arrived this morning. I've never seen a Lake piece this shape, though. I might post it to see what others think. It was advertised as Flygsfors, I bought it thinking it might be Skrdlovice, and I'm currently leaning towards Lorraine of Montreal.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand