No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Molineaux Webb cut glass pattern 7034  (Read 1051 times)

Offline neilh

• Members
Molineaux Webb cut glass pattern 7034
« on: February 26, 2011, 10:31:35 AM »
I picked up this Molineaux Webb comport from eBay this week. It dates to the 1860s and is cut glass - has a magnificent bell ring if you flick the edge. It is design number 7034 from book 2 of their pattern book. Also showing with a plate from the same set which I picked up two years ago.

I have been looking for Molineaux Webb cut glass for 3 years now and the majority of finds are from pattern 7034. In total I have seen one whopping centre stand with a set of 6 plates (on sale last year - Portobello road), a further two plates and comport which I own, and another two comports were up for sale on another site - 12 pieces altogether. This must have been made as a full set as the book also shows butters, honeys etc with this pattern. Maybe there are so many survivals of this pattern as it looks good! One of relatively few Molineaux Webb cut pieces which had an element of colour.

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
Re: Molineaux Webb cut glass pattern 7034
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 05:27:59 PM »
Neil

Gorgeous! 

Is the red around the rims a stain that has been applied after the cutting or a layer of glass that has been cut through?

Sid

Offline neilh

• Members
Re: Molineaux Webb cut glass pattern 7034
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 08:03:22 PM »
Hi Sid,

My knowledge of glass manufacture techniques is virtually nil. The red bits stand level to the edge whilst the clear sections separating the red are cut in. There is a big horizontal band of wear going around the whole of the top, but it is on the other side of the glass, no doubt part of the manufacture. Does this mean anything to anybody. I think the phrase is ruby cased...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand