No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Wavy edged Carnival glass bowl - ID = Dugan-Diamond Daisy Dear bowl  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
I'm struggling with this new addition to my Mum's Carnival collection as, although there is a pattern on the outside, it's not very clear - see pics below. There is no pattern inside at all. I forgot to measure it exactly before she took it home, but it's about 6" across (the diameter of a side plate approx) and around 3" deep. On the base there's a raised central button surrounded by smaller dots, but I can't find a maker's mark on it anywhere.

I've search both Glen's and Dave Doty's sites and come up blank, other than I think it may be what's called a hat? Can anyone help please?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Re: Wavy edged Carnival glass bowl - ID = Dugan-Diamond Daisy Dear bowl
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 04:58:51 AM »
????

Dugan ???  

Not sure as I can not see the pattern good on yours, and there looks like some leaves on yours, but since you are there (and I am here) and you can see the pattern (etc) better  -- Might it be something like this ?? as a Guess ??
http://www.goantiques.com/scripts/images,id,2399035.html#image3  :spls:

I think it might be a *match* from what I can see -- I think  :X:

More details/info here from that link:   http://www.goantiques.com/detail,vintage-dugan-daisy,2399035.html M-m-m-m- maybe from 1912 ???
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 12:07:16 PM »
Rose is right on the nail here. It's a Dugan-Diamond piece and the pattern appears to be Daisy Dear. There is another pattern that is very similar called Triplets. You can figure out which one it is because Triplets has three repeats of the flower around the bowl whereas Daisy Dear has four repeats. It's hard to see the design as the mould clearly had plenty of use and many examples have a very faint pattern "strike" like this one. For that reason, examples like this are often known as "Ghost Flowers."
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 03:30:43 PM »
Woo! Rose well done you! :kissy: Thank you!

And Glen thank you for confirming and for the extra info. :hug:

I was really stumped as the pattern is so feint - but it does have four repeats as you said. I picked it up because Mum likes carnival - this is one of the few colours she can still see well with her failing sight and she just loved the wavy shape of this one. 

Glen I also found her a wavy edge Sowerby Carnival pineapple & bows pattern bowl - she had a plain edge one already, but this one was a wavy one. I'll add pics in British and Irish later to show it off. :) Her Carnival collection is growing nicely!
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 04:40:53 PM »
Woo! Rose well done you! :kissy: Thank you!

And Glen thank you for confirming and for the extra info. :hug:

Thanks Anne and Glen. 

It was really hard to see your pattern.  That was the most interesting thing I have heard about "GHOST FLOWERS" as I was wondering why Anne piece had such a light pattern.  I thought from years, and years of use -- but that did not make sense as I have not seen a raised pattern (all over) so faint from use of a person's hands....

Never heard the term GHOST FLOWERS.  Interesting..... :hiclp:

Does it decrease/or increase the value by that term -- as  in sense -- it kinda does make the item a bit more *rare* I would think.  I have seen other things with imperfections when they were made,  and solely because of that it a bit rarer.  It is Not from being used so much (the bowl itself) but rather the mold.  Kinda neat to here the term Ghost Flowers, as you really do have a piece of Dugan Glass WITH Ghost Flowers !!

:thup: :thup:  So from 1912 -- WOW
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand