No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Enormous Jacobean style stem--coming from Japan? ID = Josephinenhutte  (Read 5250 times)

Offline albglass

• Members
I recently bought this huge stem--it is over 11" high.  I never thought it was an old piece, despite a large polished pontil on the base, because it seems much too large to be anything but a decorative item.  It has a center spiral 10-ply band and two spiral 9 ply bands around the center.  There are some controlled bubbles only in the upper reaches of the stem (shown in the third picture).  It is actually very well made.  A friend thought these were coming from Japan--could this be true?  I had hoped that twist stems were still being made in England.

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
Re: Enormous Jacobean style stem--coming from Japan?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 09:34:17 AM »
HI ,
         Having seen many many of these over the years ,the general opinion is that they were made by somebody in Stourbridge in the early 20thc ,they come in all sizes from 6ins or so upwards , whether they were ever meant to be used as drinking vessels or just decorative items I am not sure , the smaller ones usually appear being sold as cordial glasses,

Cheers ,
              Peter.

Offline albglass

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 06:21:30 PM »
Thanks so much, Peter.  I will enjoy it even more knowing it is English.

Cathy

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 06:28:21 PM »
   some have also be been described as Witch Ball stands, who knows , but English I am fairly certain,

Cheers ,
           Peter.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: Enormous Jacobean style stem--coming from Japan? ID = Stourbridge
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 04:17:14 AM »
Peter — By coincidence, I sold a coloured twist jewelled cordial from the same unknown maker at the Cambridge Glass Fair on Sunday.   I've seen three of these now, and none had any wear at all, so I prefer a late C20 date.   Whatever they're superb quality, made by a highly skilled glassmaker.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline albglass

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 07:23:20 AM »
This particular example does show a fair amount of wear on the bottom.  An open network of random scratches of varying lengths and depths.  If I had to guess on its age from the amount of wear, I would guess it had perhaps 30-40 years of wear, which would put it in the late 20th century timeframe.  It's a bit difficult to tell age since it could have been slid out of a cabinet for cleaning every month, while another example might have sat in a cabinet for decades without being moved. 

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 12:45:33 PM »
...   a coloured twist jewelled cordial from the same unknown maker   ...

Apologies — a possible terminology problem.   I used the term jewelled above in relation to the little ring of sparkling bubbles at the top of the stem as I thought it was standard terminology for bubbles used this way.   Unfortunately I have not been able to find my source for this.   It's not in the great glass glossary, nor is it in Haanstra, nor in Elville, nor in the indexes of Crompton or Hughes.

So please do not use this term unless and until some kind soul gives it a well-referenced OK.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline albglass

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 08:03:11 PM »
Thanks, Bernard.  I haven't run across the word for the ring of bubbles at the top of a stem, but I'll keep watch for one. 

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 02:32:20 PM »
HI , with 18thc glass when a knop or part of the stem has 'Jewels' they are referred to as 'air beads' ie  a 'beaded knop'I have never heard the term Jewel being used for these air beads , but why not ??

Cheers ,
               Peter.

Offline albglass

• Members
Re: Enormous Jacobean style stem--coming from Japan? ID = Josephinenhutte
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 03:33:32 AM »
This stem does not appear to be English, but is a Josephinenhutte stem.  There is a stem shown in Stefania Zelasko's book, Josephine Glassworks on page 201 that is identical, except that it has not been further engraved.  It is also a thick-walled lead crystal, matches the height (28 cm, or 11 inches); it is the exact same shape including the short vertical rise on the base of the foot; there are 7 bubbles on the base of the ovoid cup; the center twist is wide with 10 threads, and the outer two twists are narrow (I can't count the threads in the picture).   It is also pictured in the Josephinenhutte Master Book as Form 1349.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand