No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Enormous Jacobean style stem--coming from Japan? ID = Josephinenhutte  (Read 5259 times)

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
Re: Enormous Jacobean style stem--coming from Japan? ID = Stourbridge
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 08:50:07 AM »
HI ,
           Yes , I have also noted an attribution for these glasses as Josephinenhutte but many that I have seen have had amateur English engraving with some signed as engraved in 'Warwick' ,this of course does not rule out that they were imported glasses but being in the heart of English glass making area it would seem at odds for me that imported glasses would be used , maybe as with many other forms of glass  the styles were copied and used both here and abroad,

cheers ,
            Peter.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 12:57:58 PM »
I've always understood that the word 'jewel' refers to applied beads (if you prefer unpressed prunts). These can be clear, or coloured, and were used to decorate glass from the Arts & Crafts era/mid to late Victorian.

If correct, then the word is already in use.

Nigel

Offline albglass

• Members
Re: Enormous Jacobean style stem--coming from Japan? ID = Josephinenhutte
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 04:08:38 PM »
Given the feedback from others in this message board, it seems likely that ones in a similar style have been made in the Stourbridge area. However, since it is shown in the Josephinenhutte design books, you can't rule out Josephinenhutte without further examination.  This particular piece was bought in the U.S., and since it matches the one in the Josephinenhutte book in every respect--the exact shape down to the short vertical rise in the foot, the exact 28 cm high, the exact number of bubbles in the base of the cup, the exact construction of the twisted stem down to the same number of threads in the central band, the same heavy lead crystal composition--this specific piece (and only this specific piece) is far more likely to be a Josephinenhutte product than a Stourbridge product. 

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 02:42:56 PM »
albglass, could you please add the reference source you used. Which "Josephinenhutte design books" is the design in and where are they located please? It sounds like a source of information which would be of use in other queries too. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline albglass

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 08:12:27 PM »
The reference is in Stefania Zelasko's book "Josephine Glassworks Art Nouveau - Art Deco - Modern 1900-1950" published in 2009.  Stefania had access to the design books of Josephinenhutte and photographed large numbers of its pages in the book.  The photograph of the page in the design book for the roemer in question is on page 201.  The design book heading is for service no. 1349 and 1350--this particular roemer is form 1349/II.  The subtitle for the design book page says that 1349/II was designed by Siegfried Haertel c 1912, the realization of the design from 1912-1930, the form is Josephine Glassworks Master Book c 1923, table 55, h. 28 cm.  Three examples of this form are also shown in two photographs--two are housed at the Glasmuseum Passau, inv. no. Ho 69870, Ho 69826; the other from the Muzeum Karkonoskie Jelenia Gora, inv. no. MJ 412/S.  All these examples were described as having 7 bubbles of air at the base of the cup, match the form precisely, and are 28 cm high.  The form of this roemer in the glassmessages discussion matches the Josephinenhutte example exactly in all respects, and even matches the number of threads and position of the twist bands shown in one of the examples.  The roemer was bought in the U.S. which was a huge market for the company.  One can't say that all huge roemers are Josephinenhutte--only this one very specific form.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 08:33:26 PM »
Thank you, that will be enormously useful for others looking at this type of item. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
Re: Enormous Jacobean style stem--coming from Japan? ID = Josephinenhutte
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 10:17:06 PM »
Whilst applauding this great and I'm sure correct attribution -I have the book too.

The pedant in me has to point out Josephine -glassworks is in Silesia (long since closed but still standing) which at the time of making the glass was in Germany  so I think this is the wrong place to move the strand!

cheers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand