No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Portmeirion -Cerve glass jar.  (Read 5317 times)

Offline vanmann

• Members
Portmeirion -Cerve glass jar.
« on: February 28, 2011, 10:48:04 PM »
I picked this glass storage jar up today. Blackwith transfer? decoration flowers and butterflies. It is marked on base Cerve Italy and has a paper label marked Portmeirion. Can anybody give me any info such as date of manufacture and connection between Cerve and Portmeirion please. I can only find reference to Cerve as a maker of industrial glass.Thanks John

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Portmeirion -Cerve glass jar.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 07:24:28 AM »
Made to order for Portmerion http://www.portmeirion.co.uk/

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 07:29:19 AM »
Cerve (head office in Parma) is the world's largest decorator with 8 plants in Italy and one in France. They decorate (enamel, transfer, print, sandblast etc) mostly bottles and jars - i.e. packaging glass. 
http://www.cerve.it/

Offline vanmann

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 09:26:12 AM »
Thanks for info ref CERVE. Any idea of date  as obviously not current

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 11:03:23 AM »
any time after 1953

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 11:31:52 AM »
Much newer than that. Portmerion was established to manufacture pottery in 1960, but I'm pretty sure it didn't add glassware to its label until well towards the end of the 20th century.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 12:51:22 PM »
any time after 1953
as far as Cerve is concerned

Offline vanmann

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 01:22:17 PM »
Thanks again, I have contacted Portmeirion and will post any response

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 09:58:58 PM »
I was just browsing through Charles Hajdamach's 20th Century British glass and came upon reference to Portmeirion and Frank Thrower  re glass. If I can quote I hope that is ok?
'In  June 1960 he moved from Wuidart and joined Portmeirion Pottery as their sales representative for london and the South of England.  Early in 1960 Euan Cooper-Willis and Susan Williams-Ellis had bought Gray's Pottery with the intent of revitalising its products with their own designs.  With Thrower's experience at Wuidart and as an adjunct to the pottery business, it was decided to start an import business of glass, mostly to Thrower's designs.  The Swedish made glass was displayed alongside the ceramics at the Gray's showroom above Portmeirion antique shop in Pont St........ ' and  further'....Portmeirion were to keep their interest in glass until the 1990's.'
Further along it talks about about Portmeirion's involvement in setting up Dartington if I have not misunderstood it and also references that products were to be distributed by Portmeirion.
So , I take from this that Portmeirion were involved in at least glass and the distribution thereof, from the 1960's?  so this piece could be earlier than the 1990's?
I hope I haven't misinterpreted that
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand