No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large Venini bowl, help please  (Read 3575 times)

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
Large Venini bowl, help please
« on: March 01, 2011, 05:07:44 PM »
Hi. I recently found this large Venini bowl and know little about it. Its 14"x9.5"x4" and is acid etched in the pontil Venini Murano and has small cuts all around the external surfaces. Can any give me any info on when this was made and by who etc?  Thank you, Wolfie
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Large Venini bowl, help please
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 05:26:49 PM »
This type of cutting is called "Battuto", I believe.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 05:57:22 PM »
try looking here.....the.loschs.com ..(hope that is correct) - and am sure Sue is right :)

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 11:05:57 PM »
Hi:

The link for the Loschs is http://www.the-loschs.com/technik/technik1.html

Battuto was revived by Venini after its reappearance in France in the 1900's. Carlo Scarpa, Tobia Scarpa, Ludovico Diaz de Santillana all used it for Venini, and I believe that Laura Diaz de Santillana uses for another company now. That means it was used for over 80 years.

That looks very like the acid mark Venini used in the 30's, which would make it Carlo Scarpa. A quick scan of my books didn't reveal the design but I'll look again later.

Anyone more reliable (at least about Venini) than me who can shed more light?

David

PS Just found the same shape in Venini: Catalogue Raisonne, p. 136, Carlo Scarpa, 'Sommerso,' 1936. It has a foot. It looks like you have a great find there, Whatho!

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 11:32:36 AM »
I can only see the footed version in the 2-volume version of Deboni's book.

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 01:50:30 PM »
Whatho, you have found one heck of a piece!  It is probably worth a small fortune.  Venini is not cheap especially something made by a big designer and on top of it the piece is old.  Battuto also drives up the price. Great job! :hiclp:

tam bam

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 01:51:35 PM »
I just looked at the size again and that is one huge piece.  Wow, just wow!  I am blown away.  It is too hot.   :phew:

tam bam

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 08:53:40 PM »
Whoop whoop, to say im chuffed is an understatement!!! Its definitely a biggun, you need 2 hands to hold it safely, i guess the £80 I shelled out for it was a result then   ;D
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 10:02:19 PM »
What a great bargain!!!! :rah:  I suppose whoever sold it to you had no clue as to what it is.  I love finding deals like that.  Congrats to you. 

tam bam 

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 07:46:42 PM »
I had ordered Carlo Scarpa: Glass of an Architect, and it arrived today. I looked to see if this piece is in there under Battuto, and it's not, despite there being many other example. (BTW. Battuto is called Hammered in this book, a straight translation, I think, and was used first by Scarpa in 1940.) Deboni in his Veninni books doesn't include this shape in his pictures of battuto pieces, either. Also, as I mentioned, the Scarpa piece in "Venini" by Santillana does have a foot and I'm not sure whether your piece does.

What am I saying? I think your piece is Venini and fabulous, and it's probably worth more if it can shown to be by Scarpa. I wouldn't make that claim right now, although I wouldn't say it's not by Scarpa. If you're interested in finding out, my suggestion is to send a series of pictures to Venini and see what they say.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand