No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Value help 4 A. Seguso Pieces  (Read 5160 times)

Offline brady

• Members
Value help 4 A. Seguso Pieces
« on: March 03, 2011, 11:21:15 PM »
I am running an estate sale for a friend and need to value several Archimedes Seguso art pieces. Can anyone help me out? They are 9.5, 11 and 15 inches tall. Thanks

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
Re: Value help 4 A. Seguso Pieces
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 08:28:30 AM »
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think those are Seguso pieces, they might not even be Murano, they look very new to me.  Wait for some other opinions though...

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 03:11:30 PM »
Are there any labels or signatures or both?  I think I spot a label on one of the pieces.  Posting a pic of any labels or signatures will help us out greatly. 

tam bam

Offline brady

• Members
Re: Value help 4 A. Seguso Pieces - clarification
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 06:00:00 PM »
They are signed by Archimedes Seguso.
The red label on all three reads Archimedes Seguso, Murano, Made in Italy.

I was with my friend in Murano when she purchased several of them at his gallery. I also have one that is like these. Plus we have several other of his pieces including a tiffany perfume bottle.

You are right, they do not look like his other work. That's why I am having difficulty finding any comparables.

The one in the middle is 9/100
The one on the right  is not numbered
The one on the left - is not here for me to look at.
I also have 3 more pieces very similar to these.

Thanks,
Brady

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 06:17:41 PM »
When were they purchased in Murano?  Also, is the red label a scalloped, oval label with his name on it or is it just a red oval label with his name on it?  Sorry for all the questions.

The two on the left and right kind of remind me of his carnival pieces or at least the colors do. [Mod: long link converted to clickable text:] See here Go to book 5 and scroll down and it shows several examples of his carnival series.

I would also love to see your Tiffany perfume bottle.  Archimede Seguso made a lot of things for Tiffany including pieces for the famous Elsa Peretti.  I have one of her thumbprint bowls and a vase designed by her with Archimede Seguso labels on them (they were designed and made for Tiffany).  His Tiffany pieces are just to die for.  

tam bam

Offline brady

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 06:35:58 PM »
label is oval, no scallops.

Purchase year - i'd say 1995 without looking at paperwork - which is in Italian and says glass, no definitive descriptors and the pieces are not titled on the piece.

The Tiffany bottle is signed by A Seguso and with Tiffany inscribed on bottom.
Idea of price? It is for sale, so please make an offer if you like.
Not the greatest photo. It is in perfect condition.

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 07:01:18 PM »
The reason why I asked the year was because Archimede passed away in 1999 so 1995 is probably right for these pieces.  As Wayne pointed out they are newer and AS seemed to do pieces with bright vivid colors in the late 80's and 90's.  The perfume bottle is just splendid.  I have seen other examples like it for Tiffany.  I am horrible with values especially in these difficult economic times so it is hard to say how much they will fetch for and especially because I have yet to see the free formed sculptures you have in your first photos, but from your description they sound like his work but it is truly hard to say for sure until I run across another example verifying them or seeing the signature would really help.  I am not trying to say that I do not believe you but unscrupulous people have been known to forge his name onto other glass and even have gone as far as placing AS labels on other types of glass to try and fool customers into thinking they are real.  From the colors and your description though it sounds and appears to be legit examples of his work.  I will go out on a limb here and say your free form pieces are Murano to my eyes.  Seeing the signatures on the free form pieces will really help us out and there are a couple of members on here who exclusively collect Seguso pieces so perhaps they will come along and be able to verify them with certainty.  Did I mention the perfume bottle is just so gorgeous and it is a desirable piece.  I have seen people on Ebay try to sell them for around $300.

tam bam 

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 07:03:45 PM »
Oh yeah, one more thing.  The center free form sculpture looks like it is made of neodymium glass. 

tam bam

Offline brady

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 08:40:11 PM »
Here are three more similar pieces with signature photos.
I cannot show signatures of the other three because I'm at a different location right now. Can do later.

We have receipts from his factory. I was with her on one trip.
I'll also attach a photo of some of the other pieces we have.

Offline brady

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 08:44:27 PM »
Oops, here are the other photos referenced above.

If someone is interested, we have several other pieces for sale by Archimedes and a few by his brother.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand