No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: possible W/Fs pattern 9612 in amber.  (Read 1714 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
possible W/Fs pattern 9612 in amber.
« on: March 05, 2011, 01:56:24 PM »
little confused as the catalogues do not appear to be confirm this pattern in amber, and seem to be indicating that it should have a paperweight base??    My example is 10" tall, and not the 9.5" as mentioned in the catalogue.      So would very much appreciate some guidance from the more knowledgeable please, and my thanks in advance for your help. :)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: possible W/Fs pattern 9612 in amber.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 03:02:38 PM »
I dont do pattern numbers but it looks spot on for me and the height does vary .

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 04:57:16 PM »
thanks jp  -  appreciate your helpful reply, and pleased to have my thoughts confirmed  -  and guess that seeing how common amber was, then no reason why a knobbly would not have been produced in this colour. :)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 05:22:18 PM »
Is there a big difference between amber and gold Paul?  Not a Whitefriars collector, but might become one one day.....

(Sorry to hear you have hurt your back BTW)
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 06:50:48 PM »
Hi Paul, could be a later 9845 in Gold full lead crystal?
Sure Emmi will let me know if I am wrong :P
Scroll half way down 4 examples from 1978-1980

http://whitefriarsknobblies.blogspot.com/

Chris :sun:

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 07:51:13 PM »
ah bisto  -  Chris, I've had a look and yes, you could well be correct  -  especially as mine does not have the clear casing.    thanks indeed for your help, and hope Emmi is able to spare a moment for me.    I should have looked at Emmi's site first time round.  :-[
Rosie  - I am not qualified to explain fully the history of 'amber/amber gold/gold'  -  it is quite complex and goes back a long way.    I am tempted to summarize Leslie Jackson's comments on this colour, but my back is aching sitting here so, and it would take me too long to type the entire extract from Jackson's glossary.   Thanks for your sympathy - I was taking my vest off (in bed) having finished reading a book, and attempting to turn out the light and go to sleep.    In removing my vest, I raised my upper body only, and put too much strain on the small of my back - resulting in agony for a few days.      Well that's my excuse anyway >:D

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 10:35:33 AM »
Yes as confirmed above that is right  9845 FLC Gold..........knobblies were never made in Amber.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 12:10:01 PM »
Well I expect I can find out for myself about the difference between amber and gold glass, but if anyone has the magic explaination, I would love to know...... :sun:

From Paul:Thanks for your sympathy - I was taking my vest off (in bed)

Well put it back on Paul!...you know the rule, 'Never cast a clout until May is out'.... :srn:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 01:31:51 PM »
Emmi - my sincere thanks as always for your invaluable help , and apologies for being a little late in responding.   It is indeed a heavy piece and a very deep and rich beautiful colour.
In response to rosie's comments, I am quoting from Leslie Jackson's book - almost verbatim - re the authors explanation of the colour amber, and taken from the glossary.     I have omitted those comments referring to page Nos. and illustrations in the book - since if people don't have this volume, then these comments will mean nothing.   If the mods feel that the following is unethical or inappropriate to be included here, then by all means remove the paragraph, and I shall more than understand :):

""Initially an olive-brown lead glass colour produced during the last quarter of the nineteenth Century and the early twentieth Centre, used for both table glass and ornamental glass.  Later, a brighter, more orangery, selenium-based amber was produced from the 1920's until 1962.  The earlier amber was considerably darker than the later amber, and some comtemporary records, such as the accessions Register for the Ancoats art museum of 1899, actually referred to it as 'brown'.  Some ornamental pieces dating from the 1880's-1890's were made of heat-sensitive two-tone amber/ruby glass.  A 'pale amber' is recorded in the Order Book 1899-1900 in the entries for Siegfried Bing of Paris, the first documented use of this colour being at an arts and crafts exhibition in Manchester in 1895.  Amber was also occasionally used for decorative purposes, such as melted in threads, for during the early 1900's.  The new amber developed by Harry Powell in 1903 was first shown at the arts and crafts exhibition of 1906, where it was described in a contemporary review as 'of a pure golden tint coloured with oxide of selenium'.  After the first world war gold amber, as it came to be known, became a standard colour, although from the 1949 catalogue until 1962 when it was discontinued, it was known as golden amber.  In 1969 a new selenium-based bright orange soda glass called tangerine was developed.  In 1978, a 'bright golden amber' was re-introduced for the New 'Studio' Range.""

You can see how complex this colour issue became, way beyond me, but included for those who may find it interesting.

Reference:             Whitefriars Glass - The Art of James Powell & Sons  -  Edited by Leslie Jackson  -  1996 - 1997.             

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 02:10:04 PM »
Hi Paul and Rosie, a general guide is amber/golden amber and gold amber for modern collecting purposed from the catalogues available, from 1931-1962, full lead crystal gold which yours is 1975 to 1980, new studio amber which is paler 1978-1980
Chris :sun:

Edit got a little involved in Liverpool spanking Mu and didn't notice your reply.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand