No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: (Themed) glass displays - show me yours, I'll show you mine... Part 1...  (Read 198111 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: (Themed) glass displays - show me yours, I'll show you mine...
« Reply #120 on: March 11, 2011, 05:52:55 PM »
 :24: :24: :24:
I'm afraid so, Rosie! Not about fengwotsit in particular, I personally do like things arranged around a room in such a way as they say should allow thingy to flow, it's simply a pleasing way of arranging things.

but no, no NO - to loo seats down, pleeeeeeeese!

"Loo seats down" indicates that the previous occupant has left something very nasty there that they couldn't shift.

I get the heebie jeebies when I see a lid down, I start to feel queasy, it's often enough to make me decide to try to find somewhere else to go, but if I can't, the lid is lifted with extreme trepidation and control of my gagging reflex is already activated.....shudder.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #121 on: March 11, 2011, 06:04:09 PM »
Oooh!  Mr Vaseline Glass!  Now that's my cup of tea! :t:  But what is that sort-of goblet on the top shelf to the right of the candlestick, please?  It looks very interesting!  :D 

I'm interested to see so many of your preserve / sugar bowls are complete with their metalwork stands!  I only have one tiny salt that's still got its metal frame!  I find it intriguing that while one might expect the glass to get broken and therefore lots of metalwork to be found, in fact it always seems that more of the glass survives!  :huh: 

Sue; we have a house-rule that the loo lid is always lowered, not because anybody has left anything nasty behind, but because the cats would almost certainly try to drink / play with / fall in the water!  :24:     
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #122 on: March 11, 2011, 06:13:22 PM »
Leni: the goblet is a custom-made 'fish' goblet  .  
it is 11 inches tall and was made by a glass artist named James Whitehurst in the US.  I don't think he is currently making glass.  The eye is cobalt glass.  The cup holds a full pint (16 oz.).  I think he made a total of 5 of them, but mine is the only one he made with a raised/cupped foot.  Of the 5 he made, he said this one turned out the best.  He had been a glassmaker for about 10 years when he wrote to our email group and asked if anyone had any vaseline glass cullet he could buy.  I immediately wrote to him and told him I would send him 30 lbs of cullet (all from Fenton) and only asked payment of 'one nice piece'.  That is the result of what I received.

Regarding the marmalade and salt dishes:  A lot of them were bought without frames.  When I need a frame, I buy nice frames that have a plain or damaged glass dish in it.  When I win the auction, I tell the seller to keep the glass and just send the frame.  I have come up with some nice matches that way.  

The only LOO rule at my house is the seat is left down, and the lid left up.  

Mr. Vaseline Glass

Offline meegs

• Members
« Reply #123 on: March 11, 2011, 07:21:21 PM »
Leni.
I'm impressed that when you actioned the "D" word you were able to get all the lovely glass back on your shelf!
I inevitably have pieces leftover and can't workout how I had previously arranged it all to fit!
Lovely to see your Hokitika kiwis, currently we seem to have huge numbers of Chinese Kiwis (and other native birds)flocking in our stores at very cheap prices.

Cheers
meegs

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #124 on: March 11, 2011, 07:51:04 PM »
Lust alert here too that is an absolutely stunning fish goblet,
 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

(I'm confused though - a full pint is 20 fl oz.. 16 oz. of water weighs a pound though!)
And Leni, I used to have to howk Gremlin out of the loo frequently! :t:

I'm getting a little concerned about any future girlfriends/wives of your guide-son  >:D - I hope he is going to be taught to dust stuff himself when he is old enough, if it offends him so much!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #125 on: March 11, 2011, 07:56:20 PM »
All Dave's vaseline stuff could come and live at my house... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #126 on: March 11, 2011, 08:09:17 PM »
Hi All,

Couple of pics of some of my Scandinavian glass. The majority of glass in Pic 1 is Riihimaki, apart from everything on the second self, which is studio glass.

Pic 2 is a bit of a mixture some Mdina and some Czech/Bohemian, with a few other bits thrown in, due to growing lack of shelf space around the house.

Enjoy.

:)

Greg

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #127 on: March 11, 2011, 08:55:14 PM »
Quote by Sue:
(I'm confused though - a full pint is 20 fl oz.. 16 oz. of water weighs a pound though!)
An American pint is 16 oz!!  I know, I know!!  It was 20 oz when it left UK!! Possibly evaporation in transit!!

And, to risk  :hj: this thread......If they tried to sell you a loo seat without a lid,  you wouldn't buy it.....you would say 'Where's the lid?'  :24: :24:

And even more important, every time you flush the loo, the air is filled with micro droplets of water mixed with the 'contents' of the bowl,  so putting the lid down before you flush is MANDATORY in our house, so much so, we have sel closing lids!!! and the hand towel is over three foot from the bowl. :usd:

Greg and Dave....lovely collections.....I'm starting to really like vaseline glass, and I am already a Scandi convert.  But Dave....I can't see all the birds on the bottom shelf!!!
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #128 on: March 11, 2011, 09:59:06 PM »
Sue, as requested....the birds on the bottom shelf (along with an elephant and a few buckets)

and, these are two fern stands I put together to make one cabinet.  At the top of the picture is the framed cover of the 7th Edition of the Encyclopedia of Opalescent Glass by Mike Carwile.  As my two pieces are on the front and back cover, he sent me the proof sheet (autographed) and I framed it.  The pieces from the front and back cover are in this photo.  The Davidson epergne is top right, and the double marmalade in sterling silver frame is on the top (inside) shelf of the right side of the cabinet.

Mr. Vaseline Glass

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #129 on: March 11, 2011, 10:08:52 PM »
Thank you Dave....it was me, the critterholic that asked for them. :kissy:  I specially like the ellie and the ducks....you can keep the buckets.

How fabulous to have the signed copy of the pictures of the pieces in the cabnet and on the cabinet...what a talking point that must make. :thup:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand