No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: (Themed) glass displays - show me yours, I'll show you mine... Part 1...  (Read 198100 times)

Offline pl79

• Members
Re: (Themed) glass displays - show me yours, I'll show you mine...
« Reply #290 on: March 21, 2011, 08:46:54 PM »
That will be the one on the left in this photo: https://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/EarlyMdinaGlass#5443333966448149218

It's a textured bottle from Mdina circa 1970, design is by Michael Harris. They come in amethyst too and in three shapes.

John

and here's mine! Thank you so much for your information, we've always loved it but had no idea what it was even though we have visited Mdina several times. :chky:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #291 on: March 21, 2011, 10:38:25 PM »
no, no, they're not grasshoppers........glasshoppers please ;D
Fuji was immortalised by Hokusai the great C18 Japanese printmaker  -  so yes, your chest may well also stand a good chance of being from Japan, originally.   The art of lacquering was very skilled (and toxic) and apparently goes back as far as 9000 years bp (yes bp, never ever say ad or bc  -  very non academic)  -  and in view of its origins, was colloquially called 'japaning', in Europe.
You're probably right m, nigh on impossible to patch repair lacquer, even if you cud find the skilled labour  -  but no matter how sickly looking always love your piece. :)   I'm a great fan of these C19 pieces, and will swop you a lump of glass any day for the cabinet. ;)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #292 on: March 22, 2011, 01:12:06 AM »
Paul;forget Hokusai,it's one of Utamaro's beautiful Japanese ladies you want :o ;D

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #293 on: March 22, 2011, 08:32:43 PM »
All that praise is making me blush, honestly... with a bit of luck I'll be able to finish my new Peill & Putzler display (on the other window sill) this weekend, so I can still add it to the thread!

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #294 on: March 23, 2011, 12:01:17 PM »
That should be interesting, Astrid! I've got a small collection of shleiergraphit bits - but I find them impossible to display all together - it just ends up looking wishy-washy!

Ummmm, John.... re. the early big textured Mdina bottles - there are more than the 3 well-known basic shapes of tall square sectioned bottle, wide rectangular bottle and small square pot.

There are two heights of the tall square bottle, there are different neck finishes on them.
And I've got a few weird things - a shorter tall bottle with a slightly rectangular squareish cross section, and those much smaller bottles with the same texture as the very tall ones, in tortoiseshell and red and brown swirls.....
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #295 on: March 23, 2011, 06:33:49 PM »
I know Sue, I remember photographing hundreds of them..... ;D

With the early textured range there are the three basic shapes, sometimes with variations (like the necks) or like my amethyst bottle that is a bit skinnier than the blue one (but it is still essentially the same design with exactly the same texture pattern). The tortoiseshell and red variations you have I think are later and after Harris left Mdina so they are not contemporary with pl79's bottle, the smaller round textured vases likewise.

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #296 on: March 23, 2011, 06:48:31 PM »
I'm not so sure, John!  We'll have to compare dimensions of the mid-height tall ones (I think perhaps they may be longer/shorter than the fully square  ones - certainly it looks as if bits of the moulds could be adapted????? anyway interesting to get actual measurements. :thup: )

I'm not so sure about my short ones being post-Harris either - he did design the Mdina Tortoiseshell pattern (sort of rowns and reds and stretchy splodgy), red/orangey glass was turned to streaky reds and browns using silver nitrate.
Certainly, these two I have are the only ones I've ever seen, they haven't been produced en masse, and they have the same texture as the big bottles.

I thought we thought that perhaps the moulds didn't actually stay at Mdina - you'd seen something from Mtarfa in that exact mould shape - and subsequent recent Mdina pws which have turned up with texture along the lines of the original do not actually match the original mould texture at all. But don't ask me, I'm all confuddled after just typing all that........ :pb:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: (Themed) glass displays - show me yours, I'll show you mine... Part 1...
« Reply #297 on: August 19, 2011, 12:53:52 AM »
To carry on viewing the Themed glass displays topic part 2 click this link:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,42590.0.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum