No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars Mallet vase, have i got a fake, help please  (Read 1753 times)

Offline davidfish1212

• Members
Whitefriars Mallet vase, have i got a fake, help please
« on: March 06, 2011, 02:14:53 PM »
Hi everyone I am looking for some help from all you whitefriars experts on a vase I bought today. I have bought a couple of tangerine colour whitefriars bits before and a seller i know called me to let me know he had just got this bit in. It stands just over 7" tall, but has no polished out pontil mark, also the rim doesn't look the same as the other two bits I have, is this a copy/fake or do I have to give him more money as a pukka bit of WF.
Cheers in advance,
David :sc:

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Re: Whitefriars Mallet vase, have i got a fake, help please
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 04:09:53 PM »
I dont believe the mallets have been faked YET,  not all W/Fs have a polished pontil , sorry cant remember how the tops were finished but i know some of the nailheads had different top finish , i think it is OK . but wait for more opinions . :hi:

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 04:44:15 PM »
It is Pattern 9818 - perfectly fine, these do not have the concave polished pontil mark and the rim is normal for this pattern.

>:(And just because you may not be familiar with some of the Whitefriars patterns and base finished etc. I'd really appreciate it if the "F" word is not bandied around as it seems to be all too often.  You will all soon know if there are "new fakes" on the market because the members of www.whitefriars.com will usually alert the members of  this forum. :o

Offline davidfish1212

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 06:59:56 PM »
Thanks to both JP and Emmi.
 Emmi I am sorry and will not use the F word again, I had it somewhere in my head that I had read on the GMB that this was a faked WF pattern, BUT, I found the thread, and it was the onion vase that I remember reading about. I have suddenly found a bit of a love for the very 70's Tangerine colour bits that WF did back then, I feel another collection of glass starting somewhere deep in the back of my head!!!
Thanks again....and sorry again.

Cheers, David :sc:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand