No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: date request for Murano bird (swan?)  (Read 4085 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
date request for Murano bird (swan?)
« on: March 07, 2011, 08:47:25 PM »
very stylized, although guess it is supposed to be something like a swan or mythical water bird.   When I first picked it up I though it was just opalecent, but as you can see, when viewed against bright sunlight it shows the firey glow of opaline - do people agree, and is this an uncommon process with tourist Murano?   Very top to bottom is is about 9"/230mm, and remarkably without any damage.  I have seen a variety of birds and ducks etc. but not one in opaline - and especially pleased that it has the label intact still.     Very grateful for any guide to age please, and thanks for looking :)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Re: date request for Murano bird (swan?)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 09:36:10 PM »
 :hi: Paul:

Your Label is Fratelli Toso....as that is what I have on my big vase here.  I think my label is in the Glass Gallery HERE    and for other Murano labels See here-Glass Gallery

Good one  :hiclp: :hiclp: :hiclp: :thup:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 09:40:16 PM »
Rose is right in the ID. It is a type of glass known as opalino. These types of bowls were made c. 1960. It's a very pretty bowl. Many people like this shade of opalino.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 10:11:03 PM »
Ladies, very many thanks indeed to both of you, especially antiquerose for being so quick with the answer and the links.    I try to avoid animals etc., but guess most of us here would fall victim to bringing home something like this.    I now have three pieces of opaline, although apart from this one they are from late C19 - early C20, where you might more usually expect to find them.  thanks again :thup:

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 10:40:54 AM »
Very beautiful Paul, and how lucky to have no damage and still have the label..... :thup:

Can anyone explain the difference between opaline and opalescent please? :usd:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 01:52:04 PM »
Here is the definition of opaline - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opaline_glass  Here is an example also:  http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/murano-venini-blue-opaline-glass-11-vase-signed

Here is the definition of opalescent - http://reviews.ebay.com/Opalescent-Glass-What-is-it_W0QQugidZ10000000000954451

I hope this helps, Rosie.   ;)

tam bam

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 03:00:27 PM »
Thank you Tam Bam,  I will read those a few times until I feel I really understand the difference......at the moment, I see Paul's swan as opalescent. :pb: because my squirrel has the same fiery red colour when shown in bright light, but almost impossible to catch on a photo. and I thought that was like my little birds as well?????
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 07:05:33 PM »
Hmm, I'm not sure about those definitions because Paul's swan is definitely opalescent
http://www.glassencyclopedia.com/opalescentglass.html

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 07:12:21 PM »
Your so very welcome, Rosie.  I have two opalescent AS jars my husband bought from Anita about a year ago.  I'll post those for you.  I also have a Venini opaline vase.  I will also post it for you.  :)

tam bam

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 07:35:33 PM »
I see what you are saying Christine.  The wikipedia definition is not what I expected it to be for opaline glass.  Sorry about that.  I just noticed it.  I was in a hurry and didn't read it all the way through.  Here is a pair of lamps I found.  http://www.1stdibs.com/furniture_item_detail.php?id=446391  These are a better example and is what I think of when I think opaline glass.  But the swan (which is very nice, btw) is opalescent for sure.  I see fire in it like an opal.  That is how I try to keep the two straight in my mind.     

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand