No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: date request for Murano bird (swan?)  (Read 4085 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: date request for Murano bird (swan?)
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 07:46:21 PM »
I think opalescent is the easy definition!!
Ivo in his book Glass Fact File A-Z defines opaline as "semi-transparent glass originally made with bone ash, later with tin or arsenic" and opalino as the "Italian term for lattimo (white opaque glass) cased with a layer of clear coloured glass".

Opaline would be the one requiring reheating to produce the required effect

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 08:02:45 PM »
Thanks, Christine.  I believe I have opaline and opalino confused.  Sorry to confuse you, Rosie.  Trust Christine's answer as I was confused regarding opaline and opalino.  I see now they are totally different effects.  

tam bam

P.S. - I agree opalescent is a lot easier. 

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 08:28:42 PM »
the mistake is as much mine as anyone else  -  it was me that used the word in the first place, so apologies for the initial confusion.    I had thought always that opaline was the one which gave the 'sunset' glow.    However, I was wrong, and stand corrected, and my sincere thanks to Lustrousstone for her technical expertise and help.    So, now I know, and just to show that I know, am going to bore you all with three pieces of 'opalescent' glass, just to prove I can tell the difference (each in ordinary view, and then with a lighted backdrop).     In the event it would appear that I do not have any 'opaline' at all, so must go out and try and find some ;).

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 08:30:35 PM »
and the other two  :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 08:36:37 PM »
oh gawd - just reaized that I may have got the description of the U. pot wrong.    I bet it's Vaseline opalescent...........cringe :pb:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 08:38:40 PM »
It's still opalescent Paul...

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 09:14:24 PM »
Paul, you have the knack of finding the most unusual glass and then be very unassuming about it ( I think that's the word I mean).  You take it all so casually and yet they are true FINDS and I have yet to be able to identify any of it despite trawling the web all over the world to find lookalikes that might actually be labelled or named. 

Methinks you have a furnace in one of your sheds and you churn them out to confuse us!! :ooh:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 10:16:09 PM »
shhhh  -   I can't type just now - my wife has gone to bed and she complains that my tapping the keyboard keeps her awake.    Will talk to you tomorrow, and will put the wabbit to one side for you for when we next meet.   Its twenty eight pounds thirteen shillings and ninepence threefarthings, plus p. & p., plus purchse tax. ;D

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 10:40:41 PM »
Ooooh! Paul, what about 'Hush Hush' money!!?? >:D
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand