No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: alabastro or opaline? and could it be a Seguso piece please? bowl pink & white  (Read 9099 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I'm a little confused.  I think this is opaline cased opaline glass.  However all I have managed to find that looks remotely similar seems to be called alabastro.  I thought they were two different things  :-\
This bowl is beautifully made, seems to be rosa opaline cased in off white (or maybe it's just white but has changed colour due to the making process and that it cases pink). And there does seem to be another colour opaline laid on or trailed all around the top curved edge of the bowl.  I don't think it is just where the opaline/alabastro becomes more see through or whatever - but open to education here ;D.  In daylight on the windowsill, the bowl glows bright pink with paler pink casing and a lilac trail round the rim - pretty gorgeous actually, better in daylight than lit in the evening.

So the closest I could come up with was it may be a Seguso piece.  I found one with a label but I can't match the label to Seguso.  It seems to be a generic import GH label to me.  
Help would be much appreciated as I only have general books and nothing specific to Murano glass which I believe it is.
Many thanks.  :sun:
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
daylight pic

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
ah, a little further on, the label I've seen looks remarkably similar to this one (see link below) - I think it's possibly the same one.  This one is on a Cenedese piece.  So, is this just a generic GHardy importer label? if not, does my bowl look like it could possibly be a Cenedese piece?
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?album=102&pos=26
many thanks
m

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
The link you have given does not point to a label. For the correct URL of Glass Gallery items, use the link in the "File information" section below the image.
KevinH

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1896
oops, thanks  :)  it linked for me so I didn't realise
see link above.  But also I have found this label on other pieces so I think I've answered my own question possibly, in that it is a generic label.  Please feel free to correct me if otherwise anyone  :)  many thanks
m

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Yep! That's the link. :hiclp: And yes, looks like a generic label.
KevinH

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
I looked a little into the G Hardy label on another group. If my information is correct, it is a UK company that imported Murano glass, I believe in the 1960s. I don't know which companies they imported. Many of the pieces look like Seguso things to me. I saw the Cenedese piece in the label library, but didn't know if the vase also had a Cenedese label. G Hardy did seem to import good glass -- no upper shelf things that I've seen, but nice things nonetheless.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
The piece looks more like the opaline of Fratelli Toso to me than Cenedese, whose opalescent layer is much thinner.  The basket below is is Fratelli Toso and the little bowl is Cenedese. The difficulty with identifying these pieces from photographs is that opalescence is difficult to capture in a photograph.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Online Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
As an aside, G Hardy also imported Swedish glass to the UK, but at least they had the decency to say where the glass came from on their labels, unlike other importers!

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thanks all for your help :) very much appreciated.
  David, thanks for the great shots!   I think it looks more like your Fratelli Toso piece I agree,  however to be honest I can't see that the main casing is opalescent on my bowl only the rim trail is.  In addition it doesn't really look like the few Seguso bowls I've managed to find either.

So - I've had another closer look at the bowl.
 I 'think' it is off white/white opaline cased over rose pink opaline.  The opaline off-white casing is quite thick and becomes thinner and thinner at about 8mm from the rim edge where it nearly disappears completely.  This means the rose pink appears through from the inside showing on the outside as a strip.  Then a couple of millimetres up towards the rim from that, a white opalescent trail has been put round the rim of the bowl .  This 'trail' definitely does appear to be opalescent and under light it shines bright orange.  So this, combined with the pink showing through as a thin strip makes the kind of stripe effect at the rim.  But that is the only opalescent bit I can see.  The rest seems to be plain opaline.
I'm going to keep looking and come back if I find anything labelled :X:

thanks again
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand