No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Slightly smokey-coloured polar bear... ID = Gralglas by Livio Seguso  (Read 3770 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Hello,

I would like some help in identifying the maker of my slightly smokey-coloured polar bear.  It's quite a distinguished bear, with its long and pointy muzzle and pretty ears.  It is a rather large and heavy piece, 11cm high and 15cm long, and very well made.  The base is chamfered.

I think I can see initials (unfortunately, written quite crudely) on the base:  LF or maybe LP.  I don't know if it has anything to do with the maker, or if the previous owner was being possessive of his belongings.

I appreciate all help and comments.  Thank you.

Offline dirk.

• Members
Re: Slightly smokey-coloured polar bear... help with ID please
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 03:14:51 PM »
 :rah: Congratulations, Anik! Your next piece of Gralglas - by Livio Seguso.  :rah:
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 03:39:38 PM »
Nice piece Anik, his animals usually sell well, I know the bird sculptures do, here is a link to a previous thread to confirm the signature.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?topic=30892.0

Chris :sun:

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 03:54:24 PM »
WHAT???  :o :o :o   Holy sh....  :thud:

I never expected that...  Gralglas, by Livio Seguso. Thank you, Dirk!!!!!  :kissy:  My goodness, I'm so happy and excited!!!!!!!  Would it be 1970s then?

I won in on Allegro for 15 PLN (under 4 euro) -- the seller didn't give any measurements or description, but I bid because I thought it was different.  I liked its pointy muzzle and its curved lines.  Oh, I'm extremely pleased!!!   

Now pardon me while I go bounce around the apartment (without that polar bear in hand). ;D ;D ;D

Thank you!  And Chris, thank you for the link...  I'll take a look when I calm down a little.

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 04:50:04 PM »
I´m really happy for you, Anik! You´ve got an eye for quality and you deserve to make such a great find!  :kissy:
Amongst LS´s animals the bear and the elefant are my favourite - just the right degree of abstraction IMHO.
(Although I´m not too fond of animals otherwise...)
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 08:29:11 PM »
Oh, thank you, Dirk!  I'm feeling mighty pleased... Not only is it a beautiful polar bear, but it's a wonderful addition to my budding German glass collection.   I'm a winner  ;D.

:hi:

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 10:56:11 PM »
Wonderful news Anik,  :rah: and I am so pleased he has turned out to be so special.  Here is a link that will make you VERY happy indeed....

http://www.von-zezschwitz.de/detail.php?onlinecatalog=1&chapter=10&objectid=33987&ref=%252Fonlinecatalog.php%253Fid%253D64%2526chapter%253D10%2526view%253Dgallery%2526language%253Ddeutsch&id=64&language=deutsch

Hope the link works. and in the meantime, if you see another....I'll have it please!!  :sun:
rosieposie.  :kissy:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand