No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: IOW glass Pebble (not paperweight). Gemstone or Golden mosaic?  (Read 2469 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: IOW glass paperweight. Gemstone or Golden mosaic?
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 06:26:02 PM »
I think the boat sailed on private.... I created a rod for my own back, half my family now demand pork pies from Malvern. The chocolate seller has some nice goodies too, when it is freezing I go for the hot chocolate with chili. :sun:

I would like to see that leaflet Ron so will call by and pick your brains (once again).

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 07:07:48 PM »
 ;D

I stand corrected on the pebble / pw bit, but my Topaz paperwight has greeny/yellowy/browny enamels laid on over the white base background.
I'm sticking with Opal. I'll try to get a pic. of the Topaz soon.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 11:34:06 PM »
Thanks everyone - seems the jury is still out on what colour it is. I would be interested to see photos of the other items in both colourways to see if I can define it a bit more. The colours in the  swirls are very definitely green and pink with a trace of amber - which may just be where those colours overlap. It looks much more like the bottom half of the vase shown in John's link , and the background colour is a pearly white.

It doesn't look anything like the Topaz vase photo in the book Ron - but that is my only point of reference at present.  I'd love to see the leaflet photos  to see the differences between Opal and Topaz but I am a long long way from Malvern  (I am in Western Australia )  Any chance of a scan please Ron?  we have corresponded before - my email link is at left if that is possible.
regards

Jackie

jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: IOW glass Pebble (not paperweight). Gemstone or Golden mosaic?
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 11:40:06 AM »
 ;D
Topaz pwt. The colours in the first pic. are pretty accurate. I'm pretty sure also, that the colours of the swirls are the same in every bit pf Gemstone - it's the background which is different. I've just been studying a picture I have of an Emerald lampbase (not mine to post- but I can ask) as well.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline jakgene

• Members
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 03:27:50 PM »
Thanks again Sue, great to see a photo of a comparable weight (or pebble  ;D)  in Topaz.
However the more I study the photographs and compare them to the real thing the less I think it is topaz.  The background is white all over. The top photo - where it looks a bit brownish , is because you are seeing through the whole weight to the base. The white layer on the top surface is stretched very thin and is almost transparent. It is much thicker on the sides and base - as per pictures  2,3,& 4 of my second lot. There is not a speck of topaz in the white areas.  Yours shows topaz in the background colour quite clearly - mine has none of that.

might have to wait until I can bring it over on a visit to get a confirmation  :usd:  - pictures are no substitute for the real thing.

Thanks for all the input and interest
regards

Jackie

jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 05:20:29 PM »
With due respect to Ron's input, I have no doubts about your pebble being Gemstone Opal. :thup:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline jakgene

• Members
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 01:41:24 AM »
Thanks Sue, I don't have much doubt either - just a teensy weensy bit still lingering. Would like to see the images from Ron's leaflets for more comparisons.

I can feel a trip back to the UK coming on - it has been 4 years and I can feel the horror at the thought of getting back on the aeroplane ebbing slightly. Maybe next year. And I'll put this in my pocket to bring with me and go and find Ron at whatever fair he is at!
regards

Jackie
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 09:22:41 PM »
Having a look at Ron's leaflet and copies of the order forms this pebbleweight does look like Topaz. Both are on pale grounds with similar colours but Topaz is slightly darker. There was never as much difference between Topaz and Opal in comparison to the other colours. When changes were made opal was dropped as the stronger colours tended to be more popular.

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2011, 11:26:33 AM »
 :huh:
Oh, dear, oh well....... :spls:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand