No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: czech glass Identification  (Read 10193 times)

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Retro glass and ceramics
    • Scotland
Re: czech glass Identification
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 06:00:52 PM »
Thanks

Sorry for posting multiple pics in thread ::)

Anik, any idea about Crystalex vase in firts post - I really need some source of info on Crystalex as have a few pieces

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 06:42:20 PM »
Like many other Czechoslovakian entities of this time, Crystalex has a complex history. It was formed in 1974 as the umbrella organization for plants in Novy Bor, Kemenov Senov, Harrachov, and Chribska. The plants included what had been, and would return to being, the Moser and Egermann plants. The combine produced a wide range of glass, The name Crystalex is on some labels, mainly art glass made at one of the Novy Bor plants. Designers included, Pavel Hlava, the first chair of the Board of Directors of Crystalex,  Matura,  Jelinek, Suhajek, Oliva and Wunsch.  This info comes mainly from Helmut Ricke's book with a little from Langhamer.

I've used the rule of thumb looking at Czech glass that if a piece I like isn't Skrdlovice, then it must be Crystalex (or some variation).

Posting the pieces you have labeled Crystalex would help in determining who designed them, as well as bringing some enjoyment to collectors like me.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 06:48:59 PM »
Hi again,

You can find some resources on Crystalex at Jindrich's site: http://www.cs-sklo.cz/
If you go to "SKLARNY (GLASSWORKS)" which appears on the left hand side, then select "C-D", you will find 'Crystalex'.  You can browse some of their catalogues.

That's all I've got.
(But even that is wonderful... I think Jindrich deserves a medal for promoting Czech glass and making such resources available.  :))

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 06:55:34 PM »
Hi:  I played around with the image of the vase in your first picture. The colour of your vase reminded me of a piece I have, which I have thought might be Chribska, but with a label different from yours. It shows the difficulty Czech collectors can have even when there is a label on a piece.
Hope all this helps.

David

PS Just read Anik's reply, and I neglected to mention what is a great resource. I did suggest that we should be erecting a statue of Jindrich, made of glass, of course, somewhere.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 12:09:54 AM »
There's also Marcus' Sklo Union book of course, which as Jindrich points out often, started off the in-depth research into Czech pressed glass, and without which the interest in it perhaps wouldn't have grown so much.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 01:53:54 AM »
Anne:

I think Adam was asking for sources on Crystalex alone. As much as I have admired 'Sklo Union,' there isn't much about Crystalex in it.

David

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 02:16:56 PM »
Ah David, I missed that he may have been  :-[ but also thought that as Adam has been offline for a while he may not be aware that Marcus's book has been published. I know Adam has a fair collection of Czech pressed glass from his earlier topics on the board before he left us awhile.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2011, 08:27:56 AM »
For us, Czechoslovakian glass collectors is absolutely necessary tool the database CD  attached to the Marcus Newhall Sklo Union "bible" (www.sklounion.com).
Marcus was the first who focused our collectors society to pressed glass. It was quite easy to follow his direction namely when we have here in Czech republic group of pressed glass funs and I am not alone who is looking for available resources. We have only one still living pressed glass designer who had not been interviewed - Mrs. Ladena Viznerova. We (me and Max Velcovsky) are trying to complete the database of Czechoslovakian pressed glass - our approach is systematic.
I have completed the Vizner pressed glass list, there is no single piece that Vizner made and is not documented. We have got estate from Mr. Brabec widow, we are possibly able to complete Brabec designs list. Unfortunately we cannot ask Mr. Brabec so we cannot be sure that there are no gaps in this list. The huge task - I am now working on it - is to complete list of Mr. Urban designs. Mr Urban gave us part of his backgrounds but bigger part of his files is still not discovered. Becouse Mr Urban is here and co-operates effitiently we will get results. The next will be Mr. Sotola. My collegue Max is friend of Mr. Sotola daughter and Sotola had his work documented well, so no problems are expected. All this research is slower that one would expect and requires a lot of time and trips.
Here is the picture from one of our research trips to Mr. Urban atelier in Brno
https://picasaweb.google.com/Jindra8526/VladislavUrbanArchiv1822011?authkey=Gv1sRgCMuFqIOUw5nWQg#

I suppose that you can imagine how difficult is to complete list of his designs :-)
Than when you will take a look to Marcus book and CD you have to be shocked with complexity of information that Marcus had summarised and gave us and there is no wonder that the work took him 10 years. Czech glass funs know who was the first, no worries.

Jindrich
www.cs-sklo.cz

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Retro glass and ceramics
    • Scotland
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 06:08:52 PM »
Leslie Jackson 20th Century Factory Glass pp241 - picture of my Crystalex label - also pp56 to pp58 o Crystalex - very interesting read - "It acted as an umbrela for five branch corporations, each composed of several factories .... the Karolinka Glassworks ... the factory is noted for its ... and for its transparent pastel conteory glass" wild guess but it could be one of the many factories - a minefield really.

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2012, 05:51:45 PM »
Seems the site www.sklounion.com is no more? showing the Domain name is up for sale.

Chris

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand