Author Topic: vase or a very funky shot glass... ID=HSG Ząbkowice  (Read 3399 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Krakow, Poland
vase or a very funky shot glass... ID=HSG Ząbkowice
« on: March 10, 2011, 05:33:48 PM »
This is a lesson for me to READ and understand measurements  :pb:...  

I bought what I thought was a (wishful thinking, possibly Czech) vase.  When I got the package about an hour ago, I thought the seller had forgotten to include my glass within all the paper and Styrofoam.  When I finally got to the glassy bit, I stared in disbelief -- my 'vase' turned out to be a tiny little thing... I don't know what it's supposed to hold.  Flowers?  A big shot of Vodka?  

It's 8,5cm tall (for those of you who are as measurement-challenged as I am, I've included a picture of the item with a CD in the background) and a small bird-bath base.  Does anyone recognise the maker?  Though I've never seen one of these here before, I suppose it's possible that it's Polish.

All help and comments appreciated...  :)  
My Etsy shop with Czech glass: CzechGlassCollector

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
Hi Anik, I just had a glance through Marcus' Sklo Union book, didn't see it, but one vase caught my eye that was a bit similar, on page 84.  Identified as Rosice, by Adolf Matura.  It only has 1 "sticky-out" bit on each side though.  The reason I mention it is that the size is the same, 85mm.

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Krakow, Poland
Thank you, Wayne  :).  I never realised that the Matura vase was so small.

I've taken a look at the Czech catalogues, but haven't found my little 'thing'...  It's really a ridiculous object -- too small for a usable vase, too big for a civilised shot. ::)

Online Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
These things are usually called violet vases. There was a time when you could buy them in posies in the spring. Sometimes such small things are just ornaments though.

PS You're not the only one to have fallen victim to "small parcel syndrome".  :24:

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Me too. :-[

Not only was it teeny weeny but it was not made by Holmegaard, it eventually turned out to be from South America.....

John

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Krakow, Poland
Violets!  Of course!  (I wish we had a 'slap forehead' emoticon  :-\)...  Whenever my father comes to Krakow, he always buys me violets.  They are so small and delicate that I put them in a shot glass.

Now I have the perfect little vase for them. :D

Thank you, Christine!

P.S.  I'm glad to hear I'm not the only person who's sometimes 'slow' when it comes to sizes.  But you know, the parcel did look quite promising...  The violet vase came in a shoebox.  :)

Online Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Shoebox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :24: :24: :24:

My father used to buy me violets too when I was a child, but you don't see them for sale here any more and he's dead  :cry: (The flowers I choose for his funeral were all purple for that reason.)

Offline Put-Lug

• Members
    • England - South Coast - By the Sea!

Hi Anik.....   :hi:

Reminds me of one of my 'Unknowns'...

Maybe not in my picture... but when I hold the real thing up to your picture...!!    :ooh:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,38971.msg215329.html#msg215329

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow."

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Krakow, Poland
Here in Krakow, you can buy violets on the Main Market Square.  I think my daddy buys violets because they fit in his jacket pocket... then he feels highly pleased when he 'surprises' me by pulling them out.  Of course they are always a little messed up and 'flat', but I wouldn't exchange them for anything in the world.  Those squishy violets are the best flowers a daughter can get.  They are given with the utmost love.

:)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Krakow, Poland
Hi Pug!  Thank you for taking the time to reply...  Your vase and my vase might certainly come from the same maker.  The bases look very similar.  Hmmmm...  two unknowns.

:hi:

EDIT:  I meant 'Put' not 'Pug'...  forgive me.  My brain and body have been malfunctioning lately.  :-[

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand