No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: vase or a very funky shot glass... ID=HSG Ząbkowice  (Read 8787 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
vase or a very funky shot glass... ID=HSG Ząbkowice
« on: March 10, 2011, 05:33:48 PM »
This is a lesson for me to READ and understand measurements  :pb:...  

I bought what I thought was a (wishful thinking, possibly Czech) vase.  When I got the package about an hour ago, I thought the seller had forgotten to include my glass within all the paper and Styrofoam.  When I finally got to the glassy bit, I stared in disbelief -- my 'vase' turned out to be a tiny little thing... I don't know what it's supposed to hold.  Flowers?  A big shot of Vodka?  

It's 8,5cm tall (for those of you who are as measurement-challenged as I am, I've included a picture of the item with a CD in the background) and a small bird-bath base.  Does anyone recognise the maker?  Though I've never seen one of these here before, I suppose it's possible that it's Polish.

All help and comments appreciated...  :)  

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
Hi Anik, I just had a glance through Marcus' Sklo Union book, didn't see it, but one vase caught my eye that was a bit similar, on page 84.  Identified as Rosice, by Adolf Matura.  It only has 1 "sticky-out" bit on each side though.  The reason I mention it is that the size is the same, 85mm.

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Thank you, Wayne  :).  I never realised that the Matura vase was so small.

I've taken a look at the Czech catalogues, but haven't found my little 'thing'...  It's really a ridiculous object -- too small for a usable vase, too big for a civilised shot. ::)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
I've found an attribution for the vase. ;D 

It was designed by Eryka Trzewik-Drost for HSG Ząbkowice in 1968.  I've attached a photo of the vase as it appears in Ceramika i Szkło Polskie XX Wieku.

A mystery solved. Yahoo!  :hi:

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
I like your amber coloured one best Anik.....and I am so pleased you have found the maker....isn't it wonderful when you do?  And,  you did it yourself!! That is great! :thup:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline dirk.

• Members
Great, Anik!!!   8)
Do you know if she's related with Jan Sylvester Drost? Does the article give a clue?
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Hi Dirk...  Eryka is Jan Sylwester Drost's wife.   8)

Offline dirk.

• Members
Ahh - thanks for the additional info!  :-*
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand