No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness ID - any help  (Read 2123 times)

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Retro glass and ceramics
    • Scotland
Caithness ID - any help
« on: March 12, 2011, 01:55:21 PM »
Was just replying tto some old friends on the board and saying I had picked up a few new pieces on the way

I have actually started a nice little Caithness collection and need a bit of hep with some IDs

Here is a neodymium vase of avreage height engraved with birds to one side and stars to the back which gives a good effect

Engraved CG 75 ES

I take it thats caithness glass 1975 and engraver ES - but who is ES

Any help

woops wrong forum or thread so could moderator move for me - sorry just getting used to all this again

Offline bOBA

• Members
Re: Caithness ID - any help
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 11:02:56 AM »
Probably Elaine Swanson, as detailed on page 101 in the new "Caithness Glass" book by Mark Hill and Dr Graham Cooley. I picked up a copy yesterday. These vases and many others are a part of the new Caithness exhibiton running in tandem with the publication of the book for the next few months, at Broadfield House near Stourbridge. The exhibition is an eye-opening and attractive selection of Caithness work for those who (like me) rather ignored Caithness in passing. (However, there are no paperweights in the display, since the owner of the exhibits has an aversion to paperweights in general and deliberately avoids them, wherever they come from!). I saw a lot of the glass at the meeting yesterday and it made for a smart display, the accompanying talks were interesting and well informed. Hats off too, to The Glass Association, who organised it all. A great day. (I was also impressed with the resident Legras, "pates de verre" type glass exhibiton in another room, I had not been aware of on previous visits to the museum, an amazing display of lizards, beetles and other sculptures..........

Robert (bOBA)

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Scotland
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 12:42:08 PM »
Thank you Robert for the ID - It sounds like a good book and a great exhibition

Domhnall O'Broin is a name to look out for - many Millers books attribute pieces to him - here are some

They all have labels but note the difference so which is the earliest?

I also include a label from bottom of a paperweight for reference - Caithness really interests me - well the early stuff anyway

Adam

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 02:36:32 PM »
No problem Adam. I am not a Caithness collector, so I do not know much about the glass particularly. However, I think the book is available from Mark's website and at Broadfield direct. The pieces you show are in the exhibiton and the history of the labels and signatures on the glass are all detailed in his book, it sounds like you need a copy!!

Robert

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 03:05:50 PM »
I'm a big fan of the non-standard, non paperweight, Studio-type Caithness too - wonderful to see it being given some recognition.  :rah: :rah: :rah:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline MarkHill

• Author
  • Members
    • Mark Hill Publishing
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 12:12:42 PM »
Thanks for pointing all that out Robert! Much appreciated. The book is indeed available from my website (link below in my signature) at £20 plus P&P. There's an illustrated introduction covering the life and work of ÓBroin, coverage of designs and design movements from the 1960s-2000s which also puts them in context, plus chapters on the Scandinavian inspired ranges, striped and mottles ranges, designs using a complex combination of techniques, and cut, engraved and sandblasted ranges. Plus hitherto unseen photographs of the factory, advertisements, and information on designers, boxes, colours, labels, sandblasters and engravers, and more!
Thanks,
Mark
Text and images © Mark Hill
www.markhillpublishing.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 12:17:51 PM »
And following a completely justified reprimand I have just had (elsewhere) from Nigel - the piece at the top of this thread is not engraved - it's sandblasted - which is a completely different sort of thing!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Scotland
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 09:34:42 AM »
Indeed Sue it ius sandblasted - but that is to the front - it has a stars effect to the back giving an almost 3d effect - these stars feel like they are engraved

Thanks Adam

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand