Looking for Glass on ebay? Angela's Designer Searches can help! Click here!

Author Topic: Decanter ish thing with bulges/ribs, amber glass trails/drips sold as Bohemian  (Read 3937 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Frank I'm confused by your post  :-\
I just posted the flask because it has a decor done in the same way as my decanter.  Your links go to two jugs that don't have the same decoration as the decanter.  Did you mean to put this on the Nailsea thread?  :)
m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Gateway
Yes, I was just in there and wondered where it had gone to  :-[
Frank A.
Please help preserve glass web-sites for posterity by donating to The Glass Study Association a non-profit organisation.
Scotland's Glass - Ysart Glass
Glass Zoo - Glass Study.COM
Commercial Czech

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
 ;D -
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
The annual bump  :)
I've been wondering if this might have originated from Gordiola glass.  It's not a colour I've seen them use, it's not amber, it's orange and clear.  It's also not something I've seen anywhere before.
However looking at it again this evening, I observed a couple of things:
- The neck and rim are completely handformed and have been applied separately to the vase.  It's been neatly done but it's what might have been described as 'half post' (I know that's not a correct description but for the sake of using one that others might understand).
- The base is indented as in antique glass and it has a snapped off pontil mark.
- The glass is full of tiny bubbles and stones
To all intents and purposes it looks older than the 1930's to me.
Gordiola used a ribbed shape mould to blow those vases with the spouts and they have indented bases as well as snapped off pontil marks with the ring left like this one I think iirc?

Anyway, I've added some clearer pictures now.
Thanks for any more thoughts or leads
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
adding to my post above.
Actually I'm not at all sure about the Gordiola thing now.
I've just got my plate down to compare and the glass is clear on the plate no bubbles or stones or anything, completely different to the decanter.  Its also a completely different colour but the pic I've added does show that the vase is orange, not amber at all.
I've also been trawling pictures of the museum Gordiola pieces etc and cannot find any that use this colour - hmmmm :-\
I've added a pic of the pontil mark on the decanter and it is different to the plate as well.  But then they are different sizes and I've not seen a very clear pic of the pontil mark of one of the vases with spouts to be honest.
m

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
I still know nothing about decanters,  but think this is beautiful,  did at the start of this thread & still do. :)
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand