No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Decanter ish thing with bulges/ribs, amber glass trails/drips sold as Bohemian  (Read 18389 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
This is number 2 from this morning.  And forgive me now for what I am about to say...
I like this a lot, but it was sold to me as Bohemian and I really was not convinced.  So I have a deal with the dealer that I can return it next week if it isn't and I don't want to keep it  :-[  I know it shouldn't matter if you like it, but I am trying to be very careful about what I buy.  I need some help to try and id this as my searches haven't thrown up anything - I don't really know what to use as keywords for this one.
I have searched the Gordiola site and Lafiore thoroughly as I did think it might be Spanish.  I have to say it is quite a fab piece really.  It's 7.5"wide by the same high, the glass is full of tiny bubbles, it glows slightly yellow under blacklight and the amber bits glow bright orange, including the neck.  The neck colour is quite intense and then fades into a ring round the base of the neck that is much paler orange, then fading into the clear.  The bulges/ribs can be felt on the outside, so it is kind of pumpkin shaped.  The trails/drips are very pretty and on top of the clear so stick out from the vase.
The ribs/bulges continue onto the base and the pontil mark is a very neat snapped off circle, left as a neat rough ring but smooth in the centre of it. The glass is full of absolutely minute bubbles.
Any thoughts on where to search, country of origin,etc greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I have also searched Mexican recycled glass - any thoughts on that avenue?
BTW the handle is completely clear - any orange is just a reflection and it kind of doubles back on itself nearly a loop.
thanks
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
I'm interested too - I've not seen anything like it before.
Looks as if it could be for pumpkin juice?  >:D
I like it too.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
thanks Sue :sun:  It's now firmly on display. If it turns out to be mass produced recent, well so be it - I have a feeling it wont be going back next week unless I discover they can be bought for £1 in TKMAxx in which case, of course, it will be   >:D  Glad you like it. 
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
I think it's reasonably old (may be 1930/40s when cadmium started being extracted on a large scale); the clear glass has a glow that indicates manganese decoloriser and the orange is an indicator of cadmium. Manganese stopped being used as a decoloriser because there were cheaper alternatives and cadmium is a toxic heavy metal, and so no longer used.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
thanks Christine that's great :)  off now to look at older glass to try and see if I can find something similar.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I'm not suggesting my vase is Gray Stan glass at all but there is an interesting explanation in Charles Hajdamach's 20th Century British Glass, on how this dot effect is achieved - Gray Stan did a range called 'Flint Dotted Enamel' hence the explanation -
I hope it is ok to quote from the book? 
Source 20th Century British Glass, Charles Hajdmach page 94  Plate 183 
"...The bubble of glass is first blown into a ribbed, dip mould to create high ridges.  The bubble is then reheated and spun quickly forcing the threads, where they hang between the ridges, to snap and contract back to the point of contact with the glass body'.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
OK, I'm really not suggesting this is Gray Stan, but it appears, from an advert in 20th Century British Glass, that they also did clear glass with a darker dot enamel and in a sort of melon ribbed bulbous shape as well.  Not a mallet shape ( I think mine is called :-\) rather a rounded melon shape, but there is certainly something, a covered bowl with a pointy lid, on the top shelf of the ad on page 93 as well as a little perfume bottle on the bottom shelf right hand side in that ad with that decor.
 I'm saying I don't think it is because I do have an amber and clear Gray Stan vase and it's not the same kind of clear glass or the same kind of amber/orange at all.  In fact my other piece sits on the top shelf of that ad ;D so I'd guess that the clear glass and amber should be the same or very similar if the two pieces were being made at the same time?  However, I am wondering if my decanter y thing, may be around that timescale, which apparently is 1925-1928?  so a bit older than 30's/40's.    I know.....tenuous link of decor effect, but just thinking out loud  :)
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
If Ivo is looking, do you think there is a possibility this could be Altare glass perhaps? 
Otherwise any instinctive views (not looking for a definitive here - unless there is one of course - just some feelings on country to search for) on whether or not this is Bohemiam, or could it be Murano or British?  I can't find anything similar at the mo apart from those posted above, but just wondered on country.  The pontil mark is quite distinctive.
Any thoughts at all much appreciated  ;)
many thanks
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
do you think there is a possibility this could be Altare glass perhaps? 

Sorry not in the Altare book, and not their style either. I think it will remain a UGO.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand