No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unusual Ebay Activity On Mdina Item  (Read 2771 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Unusual Ebay Activity On Mdina Item
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2011, 02:50:51 PM »
 :huh:

While we're on this topic, how do folk feel about undisclosed manufacturing damage/flaws?
I once recieved such a piece - the flaw/damage was not small and I was annoyed. The seller was extremely rude and aggressive, telling me I was stupid to complain because it didn't matter because it was manufacturing, end of story.

Frankly, I wasn't sure it really was - it could also have been a dodgy repair attempt.
The base of the piece was polished flat - but had big deep crack-like indent, with a bit of glass rattling around inside it.

I know many folk accept manufacturing flaws - I'm one of them - but the non-disclusure and subsequent aggressive response was enough to leave a very bitter taste.
I feel strongly that the potential buyer should be told, it is their decision about whether or not to accept it.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2011, 03:11:43 PM »

I find manufacturing flaws can be a little bit of a grey area. I purchased a piece a couple of years ago, which had a rather noticeable internal line running through the rim, which at first glance looked like damage, although on closer inspection, looked like it occurred during manufacture.  I remember being a little disappointed when the item arrived, primarily as the flaw hadn't been disclosed when purchasing.

In essence, I am more than happy to purchase an item with manufacturing flaws, however, I believe the problem exists when the flaw hasn't been disclosed at the purchasing stage. (In my case above, I had also requested a condition report on the item, which also omitted the flaw!) More than happy to make an informed decision when buying a piece, but when some facts are omitted, I think that's a completely different situation.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2011, 03:14:19 PM »
Thanks, Greg.  :smg:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2011, 03:30:35 PM »
I'm in the 'must describe' camp.
m

Offline scimiman

• Members
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2011, 04:11:11 PM »
I always divulge everything about a piece.
A manufacturing fault is as its name suggests a fault and while this  is something that can not be avoided at the time of making there are many studios that wont let them out onto the market, the main reason being they feel it will downgrade the quality polices within their studio.
Glass collectors are very fastidious and quite rightly so. You wouldn't buy a car with a dent in it and expect to pay the same market price as one would cost without a dent.

Prices for pieces with damage either accidentally or manufacturing can vary widely, and so if you have brought a piece on the premise that there is no damage and in excellent condition (two of the most overused incorrect descriptions since the cheque is in the post) you have been sold wrongly a piece which isn't probably worth what you paid for it.

They very fact you received the responses you did points towards the Seller knowing exactly what was wrong with it and was quite happy to sell you a duff piece of glass and take your hard earned money. Professional sellers whether full, part time or amateur would not react in such a thuggish manner and would more than likely be mortified that it had slipped through their inspection, I know I would,  and would do anything to correct the problem, a problem of his making not yours.

Send it back and demand all your monies including cost of return postage and if you paid by Paypal open a dispute claim and if you paid by Credit Card inform them and ask for your money back.
Mike www.abfabglass.co.uk

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2011, 04:59:10 PM »
It was a very long time ago, I haven't bought anything from that seller since, and I won't in the future. I don't use paypal or credit cards. I don't do, or risk debt in any form.
At the time, sellers refused to pay return postage (they still do) even if the thing is wrongly described and they had a habit of leaving negative feedback if a complaint was made. I got fed up of finding myself in the situation of sending the thing back - so the seller had my money and the glass and I was completely at their mercy whether or not they paid up - I had to be grateful if I got even the bid price back.

hey-ho!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline scimiman

• Members
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2011, 06:02:42 PM »
It gets everyone a bad name.
Mike www.abfabglass.co.uk

Offline jomo99

• Members
    • Croydon, England.
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2011, 07:45:18 PM »

Hi All  :hi:

Thanks everyone for your words of reassurance. I may try a few Items this weekend, just to 'dip my toe in the water' so to speak, I'll put a notice with a link and would appreciate any corrections or advice!!

Warmest Wishes,

John
The Blindingly Obvious is Never Always Apparent!!

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2011, 09:09:25 PM »
I noticed the sculpture which started this thread off, just sold for £87! The last one I sold in a similar size, i think went for around £25-£30.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2011, 11:26:08 PM »
The power of television.... :-X

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia