No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: help with clear bubble glass paperweight please  (Read 2207 times)

Offline nimrod

• Members
help with clear bubble glass paperweight please
« on: March 14, 2011, 03:27:20 PM »
Hi

This is my first post so please excuse my ignorance.

I have been given a paperweight (photos attached), which I love and which has intrigued my interest in them.  It measures 3.5 inches in diameter and height, weighs 945g and has a straight polished base.

I would very much appreciate any help identifying its age, maker or any other information about it.

Thank you

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: help with clear bubble glass paperweight please
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 07:08:26 PM »

Hi.

It looks to me very like one of the paperweights that were on sale in IKEA a year or two ago; I think these originated in China. I last saw them in IKEA heaped up in a sale basket near the checkouts at 99p each! I recall them as slightly smaller than 3.5 inch diameter, but I suspect yours would also be from  China, and recent, if it is not an IKEA one.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 12:14:29 PM »
These Chinese bubble weights come in a variety of sizes, I have one about the size of a football and there is certainly a mid sized one betweeen this and yours. If you can get hold of one of those light boxes that changes colour and sit your weight on this it looks absolutely fabulous as the bubbles turn yellow then green and red. Hope you enjoy it
Dave

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline nimrod

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »
Thank you for your help - much appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand