No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Bagley pressed amethyst glass vase, star base = Queen's Choice  (Read 2009 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
found it!  changed my key words and bingo, why does that happen?  :)
It's Bagley I think.  Did they do amethyst glass?
m

Offline Chris Harrison

• Members
Re: Bagley pressed amethyst glass vase, star base
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 05:58:21 PM »
huh?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 06:28:28 PM »
sorry Chris, I'd been looking for something for yonks, then today I posted it here and afterwards had one more look round and guess what  ::) I think I've found it.
So, I just have a question...  did Bagley make amethyst glass please?  I've not managed to find many examples at all of pressed Amethyst glass.
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 07:04:06 PM »
Yes, but not a lot. A picture would help to confirm.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 07:22:10 PM »
pics now attached.
I think it's called Queen's Choice?  Sorry, just to add, I hadn't been able to find it because I was determined it was a Davidson pattern so I'd searched that til I was blue in the face, then decided it must be Czech because of the colours.  Finally I accidentally stumbled upon a Bagley bowl in  a satin green that appear to be the same as mine?
thanks
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 07:39:02 PM »
Yes that's it. That is the most common piece in amethyst IMHO.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 09:21:25 PM »
Thank you Christine.  I've searched for ever, hundreds of images of pressed glass and not come across another that is in amethyst  :-\  Tonight I've been searching colours for the British makes and not found a reference to amethyst either.  I've come across references to purple malachite, purple cloud, puce for Sowerby (which I guess must be an amethyst type colour) but not amethyst.  It's odd.  So I guess either amethyst must be rare uncommon per se, or collectors and sellers aren't keen on amethyst which is why most of the pics/references show amber, green, pink or clear pieces.
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 09:40:18 PM »
The Bagley book is a little lacking on colour info. Amethyst is just described as a hard colour to find. A leaf dish and a small fan vase are pictured in their particular sections in Amethyst. The colour must date from the 1950s/60s because of the metal stands the Queen's Choice posy is found in. I have had two and seen more, but they barely sell.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 10:18:54 PM »
thanks for the extra info as well  :)  It's odd from my point of view as I much prefer this amethyst to all the pastel shades, but perhaps thats why I don't collect pressed glass.  Maybe if you are limited by the availability of the colour, there isn't much point in collecting it in amethyst as it's hard to build up a collection.  I have some clear glass pieces all of which come out at Christmas, and the odd coloured piece although I've sold most of those and even this piece is only my 'stand in' piece - I'm constantly on the hunt for a piece of amethyst blown glass like that Richardson bowl I saw or similar, as the colour in that was outstanding. 
thanks again for your help.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand