No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pale 'jade' bowl,id please. - ID = Northwood No. 656 (USA)  (Read 2841 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Pale 'jade' bowl,id please. - ID = Northwood No. 656 (USA)
« on: March 17, 2011, 03:27:16 PM »
Thought it was Davidsons at first but seems to light in colour,bowl slightly out of shape with a two-piece moulded foot and lots of wear,any ideas please :huh: ;D

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: Pale 'jade' bowl,id please.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 07:22:30 PM »
Strongly resembles either Northwood or Fenton Jade & frankly I cannot tell the shape apart they are so similar so if Jim Measell pops in he can tell you which is which. Ken

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 07:23:39 PM »
Strongly resembles (but maybe I'm wrong) either Northwood or Fenton Jade & frankly I cannot tell the shape apart they are so similar so if Jim Measell pops in he can tell you which is which. We had numerous U.S. companies who made opaque Jade in the early 20's. Ken

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 09:47:20 PM »
Thanks Ken,will see what I can find ;D

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 01:31:31 AM »
This is Northwood's No. 656 7.5" footed comport made 1922-25 at H. Northwood Co., Wheeling West Virginia. After the piece comes out of the press mould, it's warmed in so that the flared/cupped finish can be created by a skilled glassworker in what was called "the chair" in the UK (we call it a finisher's bench here in the US). The basic mould was used for several different shapes, a good economy we still try to maintain today at Fenton. This piece and many others are illustrated in "Harry Northwood: The Wheeling Years, 1901-1925."

Harry Northwood passed away in 1919, and I'm now having a great time figuring out what he learned at the Stourbridge School of Art in the 1870s.

James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 07:25:11 PM »
James,after googling I did see a similar bowl attributed to Northwood but thanks for your confirmation,date and other info',strange the way it turned up in a little shop a couple of miles from Stourbridge and my last name is Fenton,no relation,I checked ::) ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand