No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Alfred Dunhill Glass & Silver Cocktail Shaker - ID = Stevens & Williams  (Read 7046 times)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Alfred Dunhill Glass & Silver Cocktail Shaker
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 12:33:18 AM »
A comment that might be worth noting:

Although a Registred Design number can refer to the full shape of the glass item, it might only refer to a part of it. In the case of cocktail shakers it could be the form of the glass at the neck, beneath the metal.

I mention this because of a water jug I have which has an engraved registration lozenge on the body and I had always assumed it was the design of the whole thing that was registered. Many years after I bought it, I found out that it actually referred only to the ribbed design of the feet and handle.
KevinH

Offline AJLUNN1965

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 09:15:26 AM »
Anne

This was the link i found yetserday.........G57 Middleton Stevens and Williams glass cocktail shaker! Which may explain the O S Middleton registering the design. it looks like he worked with Stevens & Williams around that time??

http://www.stylendesign.co.uk/guidepages/archive/garchivemaster5.html

Andrew

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 02:47:50 PM »
Andrew, I can't find a mention of Middleton working as a designer at S&W in my reference books (Dodsworth's British Glass Between the Wars, Angus-Butterworth's British Table & ornamental Glass, and Judith Miller's 20th century Glass) so I'm wondering if Middleton might have been a wholesaler or retailer who wanted this design made for them by S&W. Or Middleton could be an independent design agent registering a design on behalf of such a wholesaler or retailer?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline AJLUNN1965

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 03:05:37 PM »
Anne

Thanks so much for your search!! i appreciate it. Did you have a look at the link with ref to the other piece?? Today i have sent them an email asking how they got their info on the Middleton, Stevens & williams shaker vase? Maybe they can cast some light on the subject?? the colour match is perfect but with a different design!

Regards

Andrew

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 06:56:12 PM »
I did look Andrew. :)  I'm intrigued because of the other one I found too, on the Great Glass site - same shape, same RD no, but clear glass with enamelled decoration, which would have made me think Stuart rather than S&W if I'd not seen yours; which is why I'm wondering if the Middleton was the wholesaler/retailer - as they may even have had different colours made by separate glassworks - depending on what the cost or the finish was going to be. I'm really just thinking out loud at the moment, but would be interested to hear further feedback from those with experience of this type of glass.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011, 02:27:03 AM »
Bingo! http://www.antiquecolouredglass.info/Stevens%20&%20Williams%20Antique%20Glass.htm - it seems that Middleton may have been the silversmith! See 3rd item on 3rd row, and 1st item on 4th row, on the above link. :thup:

Offline AJLUNN1965

• Members
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 10:49:54 PM »
Bingo indeed!!!

This is what ive found out:

HUKIN & HEATH, 1855-1953

Manufacturing silversmiths and electroplaters of Birmingham, established by Jonathan Wilson Huckin and John Thomas Heath, who registered London marks in 1879. When Huckin retired in 1881 the partnership continued with Heath and J.H. Middleton. The firm's association with Christopher Dresser began in 1877; the first registered design dates from 1878, and others were entered up to 1881. Dresser's designs were launched at the opening of the firm's showrooms in Charterhouse Street in August 1879. They also stocked Persian and Kashmiri works of art which had been plated with gold and silver, Japanese metalwork and imitations by the firm, and Linthorpe, Doulton and Oriental pottery that they had mounted in metal. Some of Dresser's designs were manufactured until after 1900.

Looking at some of the works of Heath & Middleton they combined with some very notable designers/makers such as Dresser, Liberty & of course.....we now know Stevens & Williams.

Thanks Anne

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 08:10:51 PM »
Brilliant, Andrew! Thanks for updating this, it's been bugging us for a while and now we know for sure!  :hiclp: :hiclp: :hiclp:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand