No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Best way to clean??  (Read 6442 times)

Offline AJLUNN1965

• Members
Best way to clean??
« on: March 18, 2011, 11:06:34 PM »
Hello....i have recently purchased this lovely vase by Flavio Poli....i believe??? Its in lovely condition but has about 40 years of dust in it!! Ive tried to clean it but due to the narrowness of the neck its been difficult!!! Any ideas or techniques?? would appreciate any ideas??

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Alfies Dad

• Members
    • uk
Re: Best way to clean??
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 02:20:35 AM »
Hi, I'm not sure but I think I've read somewhere previously on this board of copper balls or maybe lead shot?, couldn't say if this is the best way tho for cleaning this vase. sure someone will advise on the best method.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 03:32:13 AM »
A search of the Board using "cleaning" as the keyword will find many past threads with suggestions for cleaning a variety of glass items.

A couple that cover some ideas (with links to other threads also) are:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,32957.msg178497.html#msg178497
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,7724.msg65230.html#msg65230
KevinH

Offline squizoid

• Members
    • My Glass
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 04:44:50 AM »
Hi, if not lime scale...I would suggest, plastic bb gun balls, cheap as and will remove all dust, just shake around with minimal water. Have used many times with great results.

Offline suzzi

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 06:34:25 AM »
Hi there, Hydrochloric acid is a good glass cleaner. It is sold as Muriatic acid (33% Hydrochloric) at hardware stores. It is dangerous stuff, be careful...wear eye gear and gloves. Make a solution of about 3 gallons of water and a box of baking soda as a stop to neutralize the acid after letting it sit a while. You can reuse the acid, don't flush it or dump it. I then would use a wire hanger wrapped with tape and 000 steel wool at the end as a brush to get the rest of the residue out.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 08:34:11 AM »
How tall is the vase?  How wide is the opening?

Ross

PS.  If you try something be sure not to use warm or hot water.
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 08:37:39 AM »
hello AJ  - nice piece  -  and if only it was just dust ;D  -  you wouldn't then have a problem, but as it is quite likely to be limescale (or worse) -  plus the very narrow neck, then you have difficulties.    As has been suggested, the proprietary product Magic Balls (plus metal polish) is a good start, albeit time consuming, and tumblers are an alternative, but then you have to buy the machine to start with.     I like suzzi's idea, and although I am aware of muriatic acid, hadn't considered it was something purchased easily in the U.K.  -  I think suzzi is from over the pond.    I know that Ivo has commented previously on the need for extreme care when using strong acids, and with a piece like this - it may prove safer to have the vase cleaned professionally.    Anyway, good luck with the cleaning :)

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 08:41:00 AM »
if you do wash with water to remove the dust, once you've poured out the water swill it with meths and leave it to dry with the mouth facing down - it'll remove the remaining water drops and when the meths evaporates you won't get any small limescale spots.

not tried muriatic acid - aka hydrochloric acid or spirit of salts (hardware stores in uk often have spirit of salts as a drain cleaner)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 09:12:04 AM »
Don't go poking metal things into it!
I once ruined the arris (inside bevelled edge) of a lovely vase trying to clean the bottom of something.

I also nearly took my eyebrows off when I rinsed something with meths, then thought I'd burn it off! It did a very loud boom, and gave me a real fright!

I do the final rinse with distilled water (easily and cheaply bought as deionised water for irons and batteries),
then twist a taper of kitchen roll and stick it in down to the bottom - the tissue will absorb the water vapour.

The best thing I find - especially to start with, is that enzymatic clothes washing liquid, in a bit of room temp. water, give it a soak, then a swirl with copper balls.

To get rid of rust stains, minced raw onion shifts them.

Anything horribly smelly (perfume residue) can be made sweet again by rinsing with a dilute solution of sodium bicarbonate - but don't soak it - it's a bit alkaline, and glass doesn't like alkali.

Water stains need a professional  person or at least professional equipment and stuff.

Try simple stuff before seriously nasty chemicals.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 09:20:02 AM »
Find yourself a woman and just leave it to her . :ooh: >:D :hi: it works if you can stand the nagging . :ooh:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand