No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Green Uranium pressed glass bowl ID = Sowerby 2616 w/o sticky out bits :)  (Read 8211 times)

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Tigerchips's green Deco bowl
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 08:18:09 PM »
Tiger it is a question of difficult web design - what to put where to be able to cross-read  :roll:  :roll:  :?

but if you have got an idea of provenance like UK in this case - just look in that section - it is not so overcrowded and shows all shapes  :)

again thank you Bernard
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 09:35:55 PM »
I've checked the catalogue and it isn't there. I only have volume 2 so perhaps it is in volume 1.  :?

Oh, by the way Glen, if you don't mind me asking, I have a Sowerby bowl with long chips on the base rim. Are these just chips that happened while it was being cut or are they genuine chips? They appear on the inner side of the base rim only.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10011/Picture%20635.jpg

Pamela, it is an excellent web design. I shall check the next time and the UK section too (Slaps paws).  :)
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2006, 09:51:02 PM »
Tiger, it is in Volume 2
:arrow:
1940  :arrow: illustrated list  :arrow: page 2

it was difficult to trace for me too  :P

cross-reading necessary also Glen's wonderful CD  :D
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2006, 10:03:16 PM »
Oh, oh, oh, I've found it and it has no sticky out bit's, so that's why I missed it.  :oops:

I do apoligise, slaps both paws.  :oops:

Thanks Pamela.  :D
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2006, 10:24:14 PM »
Don't worry Glen, I can't see them either.  :lol:

I was thinking that they might be something like that because it would be difficult to chip the base rim on the inside only. I was just checking though.

Better picture
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10011/Picture%20636%7E0.jpg

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2006, 07:37:45 AM »
Sure looks like grinding chips, Tigerchips  :shock:  

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2006, 08:39:32 AM »
Tigerchips - thanks for your observation and perfect description of the variation in the design. I like the phrase "sticky out bits"!

Bernard, do you have a Sowerby catalogue illustration of the vase or bowl with the "sticky out bits"? You'll know that the catalogue illustration in Cottle, which is like the one on our Sowerby CD, shows the 2616 without any "sticky out bits".

Has anyone got one of the vases without the "sticky out bits"?

Should one of them be called a 2616 Variant?

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2006, 09:40:34 AM »
At Tiger's suggestion, I am adding my 2 penn'orth - and a pic of my square version of the bowl!  Is this a standard variation, or a different reference number?  http://tinypic.com/m7556q.jpg  http://tinypic.com/m755dc.jpg
Leni

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2006, 11:04:34 AM »
Glen — I had completely forgotten the 2616 asymmetrical sticky-out bits, or ASOBs.   I have had 2616 vases both with the ASOBs and without, but I have never seen a 2616 bowl without its ASOBs.    I don't think we have yet established whether the ASOBs were an add-on or a take-away, and I don't believe the illustration in the Sowerby trade catalogues helps, as Sowerby probably did not bother to change the illustration.

I believe that they were cut into the mould for the vase after an initial period of production of ASOB-less versions, and the bowl was a later production, always with ASOBs, but I could be wrong.   I have also often wondered whether the Jobling 2-handled Rose Pattern Vase, No. 11200, Rd July 21, 1934, provided the inspiration.

Leni — Yours is neither a standard variation, nor a different reference number.    Sowerby reference numbers are supremely logical.   They started with 1 back in 18??, and added one for every new design they produced, right until they closed.    Had you asked me last week if they had produced a square version I would have said it was unlikely.    The moulding is too thick and it would be extremely difficult to line up the former used accurately with the ASOBs.    I would describe yours as an unusual and unexpected variant.

Tigerchips — 11cm?   If that is 4¼", then the plinth with that fitting would be Sowerby pattern number 2562.

Grateful thanks for changing your images to links, but you should not have just for me.    If you want me to see an in-line image on my elderly home PC, re-size it to roughly 200x150 pixels, and optimise the file size to less than 32K bytes, although you will find that images this size, photographed against a plain background, will usually optimise to less than half that with no noticeable loss of quality.   It is most unusual to need an image larger than this for id purposes.   ... and you can cram much more into your valuable web space.   Great-glass reference library images are optimised to less than 3K bytes, and they are still short of web space.   I think Frank's are as well optimised but with more detail, so they have a slightly larger file size than the great-glass images, necessary for the subtleties of Monart and Vasart surface colour effects, &c.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2006, 11:15:07 PM »
Thank's Bernard.  :D

The pictures are little but you can see the shape.

Click  :arrow:

Click  :arrow:

Just a minute, I'll change my screen resolution just to see what it look's like. It look's like a split pea at the moment.  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand