No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Veni paperweights  (Read 6332 times)

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
Veni paperweights
« on: March 23, 2011, 10:28:00 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320672536518
shows a lot of three paperweights, signed "Veni" - may want to indicate either Dante Veni or Venini ? I don't think they are either :or:.
I have informed the seller - no reaction so far.
Seller seems to have experienced some silly comments on forums or the like - or why else would he especially point out in large letters that publishing his images on forums is explicitly forbidden? Well - I'm not publishing them - just link to them to give them the sort of publicity I feel they deserve.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Veni paperweights
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 07:36:34 AM »
I agree on Chinese. That dead butterfly is a give-away for a start. And aren't they also stated as being new but in the antique category!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 08:17:49 AM »
Definitely Chinese.  I have a selection of these.  None are 'signed' in any way, though.
Leni

Offline sagasha

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 04:52:21 AM »
The last one was definitely a Dante Veni. His signature is unmistakable and the craftsmanship is masterful. Especially when compared to the other two paperweights. The first one is not too bad. A steady hand but the colors are just too much. The black one is the work of an amateur. The last one with the signature is legit. The detail in the ends of the flower petals alone gives him away. The whole piece is a scene rather than a bunch of conjoined pieces that don't work well with each other. The blue background is simply mesmerizing. Whoever bought this can throw away the first two pieces away and still say they got a great deal in my humble opinion. I have two Veni's at home and I find myself staring into them frequently during phone conversations or while waiting for something to download. Under light they are simply stunning. Especially when lit from underneath!

sagasha

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 04:10:48 PM »
All Chinese - these can be seen in copious amounts, signed in all sorts of ways altho most unsigned, on eBay.

The canes used, colors etc are hallmark modern Chinese.

I have not been able to find any information about Dante Veni googling, discounting eBay and online sellers.

I did find other items signed Veni with the same etchmark (the signatures appear identical down to the red spot) which I'm quite happy to id as Chinese.

http://venetian.artglassnow.net/vtg-murano-millefiori-glass-paperweight-signed-veni/
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/murano-signed-veni-millefiori-art-glass-paper
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/4315922
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Offline sagasha

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 08:09:23 PM »
His name should show up many times on Google & eBay. We is associated with Murano. I have two Maestro Murano millefiori weights signed Veni with an identical signature. Unless the stickers have been pirated too. I have no idea why the Chinese would copy a man who supposedly doesn't exist. That makes no sense to me. Why wouldn't they sign their pieces with a more notable signature?

I found this info Googling: Dante Veni learned from Maestros Raphael Eros and Guiliano Tosi the innermost secrets of transforming hand blown glass from his cane into exquisite glass sculptures, and from his Venetian furnace he has produced some of the finest glass creatures in the sea. His work has attracted interest from museums and he has received commissions from international celebrities such has the President of the Republic of Costa Rica and Italian football legend Paolo Maldini.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 08:55:21 PM »
Dante Veni is a Chinese trade name. Hence the only place you find 'details' of the person are on eBay and those sites that pinch text at random from the web and present it as fact. See alsoi http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?topic=31855.0

Try translating from Chinese/Pidgin Italian to English you get something like.... "I come as a gift"

p.s. nothing wrong with it being Chinese, they get better all the time. But misrepresenting the source as Italian IS wrong.

Offline alexander

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 09:11:09 PM »
Frank beat me to it but I'll post this anyways.

Hi, the quoted information is from a listing selling purported Dante Veni glass, priced so high it hasn't sold since it was listed in 2008.
There is no other information on this maker on the first five google pages before they're filled with Dante Alighieri's and Veni vidi vici etc.
http://www.goshop2day.com/Muano_20_Glass.html

The fact that the signatures are identical only indicates a standard etched mark, ie not signed by the maker but etched in by use of a template.

My personal theory on this is that Veni is very similar to the very well known Venini and could be confused for Venini by novice collectors.
http://www.venini.it/eng/home.htm

The same vendor has glass by Mauro Cendese, very similar to the much more famous Cenedese family name - misspelt throughout and the labels all too blurry to read.

After collecting glass for a while one learns to appreciate that signatures are easily added post facto and are meaningless unless the piece corresponds to the artist or maker
the signature indicates, I have seen many many Chinese/Muranese paperweights labelled Baccarat (a popular forgery).

I am confident the paperweights in this thread originated in China based on the canes used, the colors, the workmanship, the lampwork.
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 06:31:36 PM »
Which basically says it is a 'fake' but of good quality that it is worth collecting.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand