No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Italian Birds .... Barovier Cordonato d'oro ??  (Read 6145 times)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Italian Birds .... Barovier Cordonato d'oro ??
« on: March 24, 2011, 03:10:26 AM »
Helping a friend out with this ID, and I do not do much at all with animal figures......

Polished bottoms on these, and some age to them.....

TIA  Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Italian Birds .... Barovier Cordonato d'oro ??
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 04:15:14 AM »
Craig:

Nice birds and definitely Cordonato Oro. I like the clean, confident lines, which says to me that they were made by a good company. I had a look through Anita's birds and nothing there like them in general style. You can't  say Cordonato Oro therefore Barovier & Toso, because, as Marina Barovier wrote, the style was "widely imitated."

I'll be interested to hear Anita's or Tami's opinion.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 07:12:58 AM »
They are to die for . Fabulous .

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 02:34:41 PM »
David has the same caution that I do. I see these types of birds listed as Barovier & Toso, but haven't seen one of this type with a label. The pattern, color, and tail are ones that were used by B&T, but I'd have to see one with a label before I would feel confident with any attribution. Many cordonato d'oro pieces made by various companies are often sold as B&T. I am guilty of doing it myself before I learned better. For now I would just say "possibly" B&T. (Personally I believe they are because of the eyes and bill.)
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 05:04:21 PM »
Craig, they are utterly gorgeous!!....I am SO green with envy!

Does this link help at all, or have you already seen it??

http://www.moltabellaglass.com/items/538498/item538498store.html
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 03:16:40 PM »
Thanks....  The link bird is labeled, and I agree with Anita in that the eyes and beak sure seem like the same work as the pair.  Thanks all for the help...... Probably as close to an ID without the exact shape labeled to reference.... 

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 03:57:14 PM »
I hadn't followed Molta Bella's pictures before on the birds. They are IVR Mazzega. I see a few of these birds and had always just figured they were probably B&T. The label with the dove and Murano IVR on it is one of Mazzega's from c 1950. Gosh, I wish I had those birds for the zoo. They're sold, though.

BTW -- IVR Mazzega does some of the cordonato d'oro bowls & vases that are often attributed to B&T. I run across the occasional thing that has a label.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 04:03:24 PM »
They have some lovely items on Molta Bella, but on a couple of occasions I have actually corrected them..  They had some little Chinese birds they described as Murano millefiori,  but they were the pretty little 'Feather effect' birds that I have many of.  In fairness, they corrected it immediately, and ultimately took the listing off. 
These birds are labelled though, and are absolutely gorgeous....I want them too!! :cry:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 04:13:34 PM »
I actually prefer Mazzega to B&T when it comes to animals. I don't know why. The animals usually aren't special other than there not being too many of them around. It is probably because Pino Signoretto and Ermanno Nason were master glassblowers there. They are two of my favorites.

I see birds like the Molta Bella ones being sold as B&T on eBay occasionally. I'll have to see if I can snag one of them. About Craig's birds -- they are really a different design. The tail, eyes and bill are different. This can imply a totally different company. I still think B&T for his, though each time I look at them, I think of Galliano Ferro in the body form and tilt of the head. I don't know if GF did any cordonato pieces. If they did, I haven't seen them.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 06:43:10 PM »
I have to agree that a lot of companies made cordonato d'oro pieces.  It's very tricky to pin point a maker without labels, that's for sure.  Craig's birds or his friend's birds are of exceptional quality so I would think a top Murano company made them.  The details of the birds are a sign of quality craftsmanship.  They could possibly be B&T but without a label or seeing one made similar with a label it is really hard for me to say for sure.  I too am green with envy.   :mrgreen:

tam bam

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand