No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Need some help please  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Dorie

• Members
Need some help please
« on: January 18, 2006, 04:15:35 PM »
Hello. I have a green glass decantor with 2 small (almost shot glass size) glasses. There are no marks on the bottom. I have no knowledge of glass at all. I have looked at a couple different sites, but didn't find any useful information. What I would like to know, what is the best way to research my items. I would like to solve the mystery. They came with the house we bought. The house was built in 1850, and for the past 10 years was divided into apartments, so they could have come from anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I get stuck, I will post a picture, and get some "expert" help.
Thanks in advance!
Have a great day.
Dorie

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Need some help please
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 04:53:32 PM »
Hi Dorie and welcome :P

It will help if you can provide a picture.  Help can be found on the sticky  for  Posting Pictures.

Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Dorie

• Members
thanks for the welcome
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 11:22:47 PM »
I am willing to post a picture, but I would really like to find the answer myself. I just don't know how or where to get started. If the sun shines tomorrow, I will try to get a good picture.
Thanks
Dorie

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Need some help please
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 09:13:48 AM »
:D:D:D

Hello and welcome!

It would help people here if you could tell us where you live - the country is enough, but that can be a good starting place for identification purposes.

If you're determined to find out for yourself, you could start going around your local antique and collectors' fairs, and local junk shops and antique shops, looking for something the same that has been identified. Talk to the sellers about glass, pick their brains if you can. Keep trawling eBay for something the same, see if it's been id'd, then see if it sells for a good price to somebody who looks as if they know what they're doing (check their past sales/purchases).
Trawl second hand book shops for any out-of-print reference books on glass. Have a look at the Forum here for members who are also authors - there's a booklist which would be a good starting point for anybody!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand