No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Old Royal Scots Paperweight.  (Read 1293 times)

Offline Catisfaction

• Members
Old Royal Scots Paperweight.
« on: March 25, 2011, 01:11:21 AM »
This paperweight has the insignia of the Royal Scots Regiment which is based in Edinburgh. I believe from the makeup of it that it's an older paperweight but I do not know how old (pre 1960's by the look of it I think).

It has a layer of colored frit with the insignia on top of it. There is an obvious line through the weight where the frit layer is and there is what appears to be a pontil on the base.

Can anyone give me any clues to help me figure out who might have made this one or when?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Catisfaction

• Members
Re: Old Royal Scots Paperweight.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 11:14:38 PM »
Shoot. I was hoping someone might be able to come up with some ideas as I'm still completely clueless on this one. Well back to the hunting for clues!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 12:15:21 AM »
Many of these "badge weights" are sold as being made by Paul Ysart in the 1930s. But several collectors believe that a lot of them were made in Belgium (and perhaps elsewhere). The problem is that we have no certain way of knowing which really were by Paul Ysart (unless there is provable provenance) and which were by some other maker.

Personally, I suspect ones with a "large pontil mark" are not by Paul Ysart. But when the pontil mark is neither one thing or another, it is hard to decide anything. It's a similar problem with the very many "frit and bubble" weights that get sold with a Paul Ysart "early harlequin" attribution. They are the same sort of weight (bread and butter stuff) but with a bubble motif instead of a badge, and the finishing is is much the same.
KevinH

Offline Catisfaction

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 12:24:04 AM »
Thank you Kevin I appreciate the information. One quick question. Whether made by Ysart or in Belgium (or indeed somewhere else) would it still have been produced in that general period of time? Or does this style fit in with a broader time span?
I just noticed I have another weight that I've had sitting around for a long time that has a similar frit layer only with a flower over it and a small bubble in the center.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 12:38:37 AM »
circa 1930s would probably be reasonable for all of these but some could easily be post-WWII.

Most of the badges used in (likely) Paul Ysart weights that I am aware of have been from WWI and were often said to be made as keepsakes for the service folk or their families. But a recent book on Paul Ysart weights gives information that Paul Ysart at one time had a large box of cap badges so the idea of individuals asking for old cap badges to be encased seems less likely.

As for the frit weight with flower & bubble, please post a thread for it. Sounds like a typical "Bohemian" item, but ... who knows.
KevinH

Offline Catisfaction

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 12:41:19 AM »
Thanks for the info. I've been perusing a site that looks like it belongs to you too (wonderful website I might add!) and learning a lot.

I think I have some photo's of that other weight hiding somewhere on Photobucket will see if I can find them and post it in a bit.

Thanks again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand