No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: HUGE Multicolor Paperweight Sculpture  (Read 2112 times)

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
HUGE Multicolor Paperweight Sculpture
« on: January 12, 2006, 02:57:14 AM »
Hi Everyone,
I have a very heavy, solid, and just HUGE paperweight that I would like some info on. I bought it within a lot of Scandinavian and Murano pieces, so I am unsure of what it really is. I thought I woul dget more information on the Paperweight section than the others. Here are some pics!

It measures about 5 1/4" tall x 5 1/4" wide, but it really depends where you measure.
Hope I can get a bit of help with this one.
Thanks in advance!
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 11:45:47 PM »
Hi Javier

I can give a tentative attribution

I think they are Murano and are called 'Polychrome Stones' or 'Sasso Policromo'

They are quite rare and experimental

Here are two from a 1950s (to 59) Murano book (no Copyright breech as it has not been republished)

The pictures are not so good (scans - the colours are actually much brighter) but show two  'Sasso Policromo' by Luciano Gaspari for Salviati & C - late 1950s - they are not described as being signed, sizes vary but are usually in the same ball park as your item

images

I am not saying they are the exact same company and designer as yours – it’s more to show that Murano factories made objects called 'Sasso Policromo' like yours c 1950s 60s. I have no pictures of other makers other than Salviati, but I am sure there were.

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 10:22:25 AM »
Hi Adam P,
Thank you for the photos!
I havent seen those before. I do have 2 pieces by Gaspari, but they arent abstract pieces at all. One is a plate with fish inside, which I think was made along with Barbini and the other a large bird, both pieces being figural. I'll have to check on him for sure, specially if the 'Polychrome Stones' or 'Sasso Policromo' are rare pieces!

I also didnt want to just say it was Murano because it was in with a lot of Scandinavian and Murano combined. Mine is a bit different to your photos, so it might not be Gaspari... Do you guys think this topic should be moved to the general board? I guess its not really a paperweight and more of a sculpture.... If you guys think that is a better bet to get info on this, feel free to change it.
Thank again Adam!
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand