No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: would you belive it  (Read 2442 times)

Offline RAY

• Members
would you belive it
« on: January 18, 2006, 07:15:20 PM »
i got this weight recently, with having a conversation by email to Richard more i told him that i had a 4-4-4 facet upright seaweed motif weight, well Richard said that he's never seen one before and he mentioned it could be a experimental facet one, then i thought no it can't be due to there's another in my paperweight book, but on closer inspection of my weight and the one in the book, there the same weight, what are the odd's of that?

cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
would you belive it
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 07:28:08 PM »
What's the book, Ray?   :shock:
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline RAY

• Members
would you belive it
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 07:33:45 PM »
GLASS PAPERWEIGHTS by James Mackay
cheers Ray

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
would you belive it
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 08:50:29 PM »
Very Odd :lol:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
would you belive it
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 08:18:57 PM »
Hi Ray,

Nice one!

I would agree with Richard that the type of faceting on this example is unusual. I cannot recall for sure whether I have seen another one like it. Maybe, maybe not, although I do have some vague memories of seeing others.

For anyone looking in books and elsewhere, please note that the commonly used name, "Seaweed", is not what Strathearn called them. The name was "Tropic" (as shown in Richard's album site). But "seaweed" does seem more descriptive, doesn't it!

Regarding the comparisoon to the pic in the James Mackay book, it does indeed look to be the same weight. But I spot certain differences. Perhaps the book image was cropped at the base, and this would explain the apparent difference in width near the base and possibly also the (minor) difference in apparent facet shape, too?

But looking at the internal elements, it does look as identical as you could get. Bearing in mind that all Tropic weights (with and without facets) were hand-made (i.e. no standard crimp was used, to my knowledge), the "weed" bits would most likely differ in several aspects for each weight.

My copy of the Mackay book is a reprint (1981), rather than a revised edition, so I imagine that the content is as per the original (copyright 1973). That would confirm that this type of unsual faceting was done between 1964 and 1973, so perhaps there were others, too.

Keep your eyes open, folks.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand