No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A Lillicrap's Hone  (Read 26034 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: A Lillicrap's Hone
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 01:36:19 AM »
Anne — Your effort in looking up Joseph is both unexpected and delightful.   My grateful thanks.

I've been doing some arithmetic.   500,000 hones over six years averages about 275 every working day, probably well within the capabilities of a single shift of a skilled glassmaking team, based on the material in Stewart & Stewart, Davidson Glass — a history.   However, in real life, demand is not steady, and suffers from peaks and troughs.    At peak periods of demand, production of three or four times this average would have been necessary, too much for one full shift.   Hence I believe that two or more moulds would have been available for use simultaneously, and that is in addition to the replacement of moulds for reasons of wear and tear, and the two basic versions of the hone.   Some years ago we identified three different moulds used for the Bagley square 3123 Fish Plate, which was made in comparatively tiny numbers.   Who knows how many moulds were used for Joseph's hone?   I can just imagine myself checking a hone and pronouncing that it is a "Modified type IX".   You would all think that I had lost my marbles.   I think that this is best left to a dedicated hone collector.   Any volunteers?

Stewart & Stewart also reveals that Purchase Tax at the punitive rate of 33.3% was introduced in October 1940.   So, in five years, Wood Bros had only increased the price from 1/- to 1/1½d, just 12.5%, or an annual rate of 2.38%, hardly excessive; the other 4½d being the new tax.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline eviloverlord

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 01:52:50 PM »
Lillicrap's Hone was a simple and effective solution to this problem, not producing an edge of quite the sharpness of a new blade, but certainly one that would provide a close clean shave — I know as I tried it myself some years ago.
Bernard C.  8)

Thanks for the very interesting information, Bernard.
I acquired a Lillicrap's hone a few years ago and have long wondered about it's operation.
Did it require some kind of abrasive paste to operate or was the glass itself enough to keep an edge on a blade?
I imagine it would work better on older razor blades as they're likely made of harder steel these days.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 07:09:30 PM »
I would imagine just water is used to lubricate the surface, but being a little short in the hairy chin department (thank goodness ;D) someone hopefully will confirm.

I did find this on youtube - 'straight razor honing'  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMV-KRFjDM0 which shows water being used.
Anne E.B

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 09:55:02 PM »
Quote from Bernard C’s reply#1 :
Wood Brothers produced a version for the USA that had a quite different inscription, with no mention of the European and British Empire patents, probably as a British design registration number was almost an open invitation for American glassworks to plagiarize. As Wood Bros was well known in America for laboratory equipment, this much simpler inscription featured their company name in large letters.
and from his reply #3:
I have yet to see the American version, although I did once see a photograph of one on eBay.   Not a whisper yet of American, French, or German packaging and instruction leaflets.

Here is a photo of a hone (from the US) in unfrosted PINK glass. It is 2 ½ inches square, and bears the raised legends ‘CRYSTAL STROPPER’ and ‘PATENT APPLIED FOR’  - no mention of the Wood Bros. company name. The packaging indicates that the hone was made by or for the Crystal Stropper Co., Milton, Massachusetts.

(Permission for the re-use of this image on the GMB granted by Kathy McCarney).

I have seen several other examples, and they are all in unfrosted pink glass. 

Here, however, is another example (also from the US) that is very similar in shape and size but made of unfrosted BLUE glass. The reverse of curved face of the hone bears raised advertising legend  which, when seen through the face of the hone, reads “CLIX BLADES – CLIX always clicks!”.

(Permission fror the re-use of these images on the GMB granted by Karl Schweiz).

Fred.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 01:43:16 PM »
Lustrousstone will know how they're used.
Her OH uses a uranium hone regularly.

I'm not sure that steel is better these days than it was of old!
My experience is that it is not of such good quality - particularly when it comes to cutlery.

For many years now, I have been using "Firth Staybrite" stainless steel cutlery, following being given a set that originated from the '30s - it still looks brand bew.

A little bit of research and I found out that Firth Staybrite pre-dates and is the precursor to Old Hall.

It is SO hard that it only comes in a plain design, it cannot be moulded or shaped with patterns on it, so it fell out of favour as patterns became popular - but thay had to be made in a much less durable metal.

So the new stuff rusts. Firth Staybrite doesn't - (except for the knives, a little bit, sometimes)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2013, 03:55:34 PM »
An American McKee Glass Safety Razor Hone made of milk glass from the McKee Glass Co. of Jeannette, PA. It is embossed on the back "McKEE GLASS SAFETY RAZOR HONE PAT APPLIED FOR." Measures 7/8 inch high, 2 13/16 inches wide and 2 1/4 inches deep, front to back. Thought to date from the late 1930s or the early 1940s.
(Permission for the re-use of these images on the GMB granted by Rick Caron).

…and a BON-HER Razor Blade Sharpener of black glass from the Bon-Her Co., 5852 W. Lake St., Chicago, Illinois. Printed paper label to the flat back. 
(Permission for the re-use of these images on the GMB granted by pauldog).

Still no sign of an American Wood Bros. hone though.

Fred.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 04:02:43 PM »
For comparison, a photo of a Lillicrap’s hone in frosted green uranium glass complete with its original box and  instruction sheet.

(Permission for the re-use of this image on the GMB granted by jerac2).

Fred.

Offline mkt

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Bangladesh
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 08:41:18 AM »
Just curious about to know about the price of Lillicrap Hone. Any Idea?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 02:16:58 PM »
hello, welcome to the GMB.            Regret to say that contrary to some other forums where values are discussed, on the GMB we avoid the subject entirely, since valuations are an area of great personal interpretation, plus the fact that we're not professional appraisers of vintage or antique glass.          Sorry to disappoint you.

You don't explain your reasons for wanting one ................   is it just to sharpen your razor blades :)  or are you a collector of glass?
I've not seen one of these for several years, so no idea if they are particularly collectible at present, but it's possible that if you search the various on line auctions etc. you might find one for sale.

I notice what looks like an error regarding the British Registration No. quoted for the Lillicrap Hone, but I forget which one is correct.              In the late Bernard Cavelot's Reply No. 1, he looks to be quoting this as 756250, but in much later references in this thread - and I notice on the pix of your hand written notes that you've posted - this is showing as 756950.          I did have one some years back but now gone, so unsure which is right, and I can't find a book which gives the No.       
There is a picture of one in Raymond Notley's paperback, but he doesn't give the Reg. No.

If you find one of these things, vastly larger than a Lillicrap example, and I've never seen one here  ............  they were apparently marketed  for resting the necks of corpses on whilst the deceased was on show in the coffin.          When the lid was about to be sealed for the last time, this glass rest was removed, and being glass they were seen as hygienic  ..............   though not sure if this was a 'tall story' or genuine. :)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 05:13:26 PM »
There is an example currently on eBay UK and the pics are pretty good - looking at two of the images, the Rd number is definitely 756950. It has a Buy It Now price of UK£22.50.

eBay Item No 252713540430
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand