No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: For Reference - Scandinavian Style Hooped Vase = Japanese!  (Read 21146 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: For Reference - Scandinavian Style Hooped Vase = Japanese!
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 02:16:56 PM »
Comes in a veriety of colours, usually with inner white casing:

Interesting.

There's a thread somewhere on the board that has one of these vases bearing a Hirschberg label. I've had one in red marked 'Foreign', which was common for post-war German produce... but it could easily apply to any of the 'losing' sides of WWII wanting to anonymously ship their wares to the old enemy.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 06:19:40 AM »
Oh, that could be it - so not quite the same.

Pesky memory!

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 08:31:53 PM »
Came across another cased vase with white interior which turned out to be Japanese:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310301341775

The seller was again nice enough to give permission to use their pics here:

Might not be the most exciting discovery the world has ever seen, but it's another ticked off the list!

Offline Sven Trilloqvist

• Members
  • The wise know when they have been foolish
    • Scandi, Japanese, Whitefriars
    • Scotland
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 12:07:10 PM »
From my purchases and research (on 20thcenturyglass.com encyclopaedia, worthpoint.com archive, eBay and Etsy) the 8 inch white-cased, 2-section bamboo vases pictured here have been tentatively identified as Chinese, Italian or Japanese and most often sold with a premium as Alsterfors, Sweden, which might leave a logical person confused. Now on your message board we have the photographic evidence of the blue bamboo vase labelled MADE IN JAPAN. Since I have a collection of five of these bamboos (blue, green, yellow, amber & red), and am searching for others to complete the spectrum, I am actually quite excited by this news (yippee!) as I am no longer completely bamboozled.
Since there is a range of 8 inch white-cased long-necked vases in most of the same colour schemes, of similar quality, I think these too are Japanese. I attach a photo showing 4 assorted vases, two of which are in this distinctive dark cobalt/violet blue. The blue one was bought as Empoli [Tuscany, Italy]. Has anyone got labelled examples of the long-necked vases to prove they too are Japanese?
When similar vases are labelled FOREIGN does this mean that they too are made in Japan or just any country that is not part of the British Empire?
#8O)   

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 01:06:49 PM »
Foreign was often used on imports post World War 2 when they came from countries on the losing side such as Germany and Japan so that the buying public were not put off purchasing them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand