No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Victorian vase with inlay ? ID = Duncan, 1920s  (Read 3601 times)

Offline Riki

• Members
Victorian vase with inlay ? ID = Duncan, 1920s
« on: January 19, 2006, 08:06:35 AM »
Hi, I am a new member and like most newbies I have an item I am trying to identify, any help would be appreciated.
 It is a stunning vase in black glass 9 inches high x 5 1/2 inches across the top and inlayed in a silver coloured metal ( probably silver but it's not hallmarked ), there are three fine mold lines on the outside with none on the inside, I assume it is victorian era.

http://tinypic.com/m7wbi0

http://tinypic.com/m7wbrk

I hope that I've got the tinypics links OK.
Thanks, Riki

Mod: The images from this post have vanished. If you started this thread and you still have the pictures, please let the moderators know so that we can restore them. To add pictures to your posts permanently, the GMB recommends either using the 'attach' facility when posting, or using The Glass Gallery. See the GMB guide to adding pictures to your posts for more.

Mod: One Tinypic mysteriously reappeared so has been rescued for this topic

Connie

Victorian vase with inlay ?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 10:02:14 AM »
Welcome Riki -

I think your vase is American made by Tiffin Glass or Duncan.  I am traveling (again) so don't have my reference books.  I will look it up when I get home tomorrow.

Offline Riki

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 07:07:25 AM »
Hi Connie, thanks for the welcome.
 Thanks also for the suggestions, I've had a look at the Duncan glass site and have found two vases with covers that have a similar looking tripod base but the photos aren't great and the vases are at the rear of the picture so it's hard to tell.

http://www.duncan-glass.com

Photo in the gallery section under Unique Duncan.

I had always assumed that it was victorian English glass because of the colour of the glass and the style of the inlay, any further information you may come across when you return home would be greatly appreciated.

Riki

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 08:50:35 AM »
Hi Riki and welcome. Connie is right, I have looked in my books and it appears to be a Duncan product from the 1920's. I might add that here we would call the decoration silver overlay. If there is any type of mark on the silver it would be very small and just the word Sterling. Terry

Connie

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 10:20:43 PM »
Riki -

I am back home and looked in Depression Era Glass by Duncan by Leslie Pina.  There is not your exact vase but similar.  The book also has a picture of the cologne as pictured in the Duncan Glass Museum link. I can't find that the pattern had a name but the black color was called Ebony.

Here is a large vase/bowl that I once had in Ebony in the same pattern.

Duncan Ebony Bowl

Offline Riki

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 10:45:31 AM »
Thanks to both of you for the information,  I really would not thought of America as the source of such a stylish but somber looking piece of glass.
 I wonder how it found it's way to an antiques fair in Scotland.
 I would have stuck in a happy face smiley for both of you if I knew how to.
Riki.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand