No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Any manufacturer suggestions for this Latticino Vase ID - Prob. Salviati  (Read 2336 times)

Offline Aislingeanbeag

• Members
Hello all I am new and know little about Italian Glass.
We bought this some years ago and would love to know more about it!
cheers
Dave
These are thumbnails and should expand if clicked.[Photobucket also expands]
There is a snap pontil un-ground.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
Re: Any manufacturer suggestions for this Latticino Vase
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 12:26:47 AM »
The technique used here is zanfirico, also called filigrana a retorti or retortoli, rather than latticino, a term not used in Murano. It looks like a good maker, but it's difficult to pin down a precise maker as so many companies produced work like this. The snapped unground pontil is one clue. Another would be how the glass feels (sounds silly, I know, but it does make a difference). Is it hard and clean, or soft and soapy?

Nice piece, btw.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Aislingeanbeag

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 11:49:35 AM »
Thanks for your reply!
The terms you use I recognise from my research 7 years ago when we bought this, but memory discards the unused!
The vase was purchased at an auction of the remainders from the house sale of the estate of Lady Beatrice Duncan of Jordanstone who died aged 94. We understood that she had travelled extensively and could well have purchased this on a 'tour'. When it was made we do not know but suspect 1930s.
As to feel I am unable to tell as it would seem subjective and I have never considered feel with regard to glass!.
The vase is delicate and the surface is not totally flat being I presume hand formed from canes of differing compositions and it is not heavily cased so it does not feel hard and smooth like a  leaded glass. It certainly does not feel like the various pieces of high end Monart or Vasart which have passed through our hands but I do not unfortunately recognise 'Soapy' as a texture or feel.
I understand that adventurine canes were in very short supply after the 2nd war but I do not know if this was world-wide
or just in the UK and his perhaps wrongly colours my judgement of age.
cheers
Dave

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 03:15:48 PM »
My thought was Salviati. The zanfirico is done very precisely and uniformly, and it has a Salviati look. Salviati usually has quite a rough snapped pontil mark. Here's a piece I have that I think is by Salviati.  BTW, my piece feels a little soapy, which is why I asked. I had trouble with determining feel at first, too. It seems absurd, but differences are there.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 04:17:57 PM »
I think you're right, David. Dave's bowl looks like some of the Salviati/Barovier/CVM pieces made in the late 19th-early 20th Century. I lump the three companies together, since they are intertwined in a way I have a hard time unraveling during this period of time.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand