No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Seguso partridges?  (Read 2452 times)

Offline pl79

• Members
Seguso partridges?
« on: March 27, 2011, 02:14:28 PM »
I have a pair of partridges, I think they are made by seguso, I'm sure I've seen something similar in a book.

They are heavy , 2.45kg and 2.93kg. They are 8in tall.

Can anyone confirm my thoughts or inform me differently please?

Mod: overlarge images reduced for smaller screen users.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Seguso partridges?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 04:18:31 PM »
It does look like the work of Archimede Seguso, but I haven't seen this form before. AS did have some birds on branches like this. I can't see the pictures well enough to see the detail. Some gold pieces show up better on a navy background. The larger version of your pictures go off the screen, and I can't scroll out for some reason. The birds are fat like partridges, but I can't think of any that have crests. Maybe just artistic license. I can't tell it there is a wattle or not.

It would be nice to find one of these with a label or some documentation. They do look like AS, but other companies produced similar things. When it comes to animals, I have been surprised quite often about who made them. Well... it's not really surprising, thinking about how many talented glassmakers were on Murano and how workers often switched companies they worked for.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline pl79

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 04:46:22 PM »
Thanks for that, I'll try to sort out the problem with the pictures, I'll also try a navy background in my new photo hutch thingy!
Lauretta

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 05:30:30 PM »
Cropping out the white portions and extra background would help as well. Basic rule of thumb: more item, less background please. :)

If you can make your images no longer than about 800 pixels on the longest side they will usually work for everyone. Big ones cause huge headaches for many of us. I'll tweak these for you now though.  :thup:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline pl79

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 06:00:21 PM »
Thanks Anne, what software do you use for cropping etc?

I have found this picture in a Seguso book, again similar but not identical.

Mod: pics from book removed after discussion with Lauretta :)

Edited to add book details: the book is 'art glass by Archimede Seguso' edited by Umberto Franzoi.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 01:33:09 AM »
I personally use Paint Shop Pro, which is well-old now, but if you are looking for a freebie that's easy to use, try Irfanview www.infanview.com - if you check in our help post you'll find it contains a link to David's tutorial on how to use Irfanview to make pics that work here on the board. http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6522.0.html along with other suggestions from members which will help you along. Do holler for help if you get stuck though. :thup:

If the pics are from a book in copyright we'll need to remove them under the board's copyright policy...
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 04:55:54 PM »
I use MS PhotoDraw. It is an older package, but so good and easy to use. I don't think they sell it now. I crop to 5-6" to fit computer screens (which works out to be low pixels, so all is good).

The book says what I suspected -- more guineas. Partridges don't have wattles and yours definitely do. I think your birds are Archimede Seguso. The head and form are so alike. I just think it is a different posture and on a log. Probably looking for bugs and stray flower seeds.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand