No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Opalescent figurine by unknown maker  (Read 5260 times)

Offline B & M

• Members
Opalescent figurine by unknown maker
« on: January 19, 2006, 07:28:34 PM »
Hello,

I recently bought this 1930's opalescent figure of storks:

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-802
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-803

(Photographs provided by Victor Roberts)

It is unsigned but retains the remnants of its original foil label to the underside. Unfortunately this is badly worn and the letters can no longer be made out. I think I can just see 'Made in France' in the border of the diamond shaped part, towards the base. I was wondering if anyone can identify the maker.  The design looks vaguely familiar and I can't help but think it might be a Verlys label. I know Verlys used foil labels but can't find any images with which to compare.  Also most Verlys is signed, though I have had unsigned French pieces occaisionally in the past.

To complicate matters further, if it is Verlys, it could also be marked with their export 'Hanots' mark, though I can find no record of a label for this either.  Of course, i could be wrong & if anyone has any more ideasI would be very grateful.

The furthest I have got so far is to rule out lalique, Sabino and Jobling, but it is difficult to go any further as there are so many Opal figures by Cesari, Ferjac, etc. which i can't find any references for.

Thank you!

Steven

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 09:10:33 PM »
I may be out on this one, but I've an idea I saw an identical figure in an exhibition of deco glass a few years ago as made by Etling and I know that not all of their output was signed. Hope this helps a tad.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline B & M

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 09:38:47 PM »
Thanks Paul,

Etling had completely slipped my mind. You could well be right, it certainly has a similar opalescence and general feel to an Etling bowl I've seen recently.  I am not so familiar with Etling's figures other than the beautiful Sevin ladies, but I presume they would have made many decorative figures like this.

I think i just assumed Verlys as it put me in mind of the swan figures they made, Etling may well be more likely, I will loook into it further and see if I can find any labels to compare with.

Thanks again,

Steven

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 09:21:08 AM »
:D:shock::D

I have seen unmarked Verlys, in particular a large bucket-shaped vase with crysanthemums in vey thick relief. The colour was a glowing pinkish amber. I do know this is a Verlys pattern, so unless others copied it, it was an unmarked Verlys. It was decidedly a quality piece, well finished, and the colour was superb. Sorry, no pics. :cry:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline B & M

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 05:36:32 PM »
Thank you, Verlys certainly made amber glass and it could well look pinkinsh, especially in the thicker parts.  Many companies did copy Verlys however and certainly the Fenton reissues produced prior to the mid 70's are unmarked but generally turn up in unusual bright colours, very different to Verlys.

I've seen both coasters and knife rests without signiatures, so they may well have produced unmarked figurines too.

Interestingly an identical figure mounted as a lamp has just turned up on ebay, attributed to Sabino

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6598899811

I'm sure its not Sabino, however, and the example on ebay has obviously recently been fitted into that mount (all that excess new plaster). The only Etling animal figure I have identified so far is a fish but it carried a moulded signiature.

The Etling entry in The Glass Encyclopedia confirms that they did produce birds and fish designed by Geza Hiecs. so so far it looks like it could be by either maker........ :?

http://www.glassencyclopedia.com/Etlinglass.html

Offline Jo in Australia

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 11:27:54 PM »
It’s a similar idea but not the same as the Sabino, Barolac and Walther versions of two birds. The Verlys bird figurine is a single one. It doesn’t look like Etling to me – too fussy at the base. Although some is fussy, so I could well be wrong. :roll:  I’ve never seen unsigned opalescent Etling, although sometimes the signature is faint and hard to see. Strangely, the way I’ve worked out to find faint signatures is to wet the glass and then hold it under a bright light. It temporarily reduces the frosted/satin effect and the shadow of the signature moulding shows up.
Sevres reissued some Etling figurines in clear glass and those have no signature, just the Sevres label if it’s still attached.

:)
o

Offline B & M

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 07:27:28 PM »
Just reviving my old post, thanks everyone for their help.

It seems my original thoughts about the label were correct, here is an apparently signed Verlys example on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6614833202

:)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand