Glass Discussion & Research. No ID requests here please. > Far East (excluding China)

Small Intaglio cut dish - Frosted Image of young Woman - ID = Hoya Crystal Japan

(1/3) > >>

Greg.:
Hi All,

Hoping someone can help throw some light on this one.  Looks to be a small trinket or dressing table dish, around 5 inches wide and 1.5 inches high. Has a frosted glass image of a young woman, which is shown in relief on the reverse. Has a beveled edge to the base and lots of surface wear to the reverse.

Any thoughts on age, origin etc appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

:)

Ivo:
I have something very similar with a monkey and I know that it is by VSL - so perhaps your white ape is from the same bestiary?

Greg.:
Thanks Ivo, does have some similarities to your VSL piece.

I've seen quite a few VSL dishes online with different animals on, which appear similar to your dish, although haven't yet seen any VSL dishes with the image of a young woman on. Although, when handling the glass it does remind me of other pieces of VSL I have come across before.

Out of interest, do the insides of your dish go straight up to the rim or do they tapper outwards slightly towards the rim..?

Thanks,
Greg

Ivo:
they're tapir'd  :ooh:

Greg.:
Thanks Ivo.

The sides on my dish go straight up to the rim. The majority of the VSL dishes with animal designs I have come across all appear to tapper outwards towards the rim. Having said that, I suspect that it could still well have been produced by VSL.  I just sent VSL a quick email, with a photo, so, hopefully, I will hear something back, all being well.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Greg

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version