No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Small Intaglio cut dish - Frosted Image of young Woman - ID = Hoya Crystal Japan  (Read 8108 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Hi All,

Hoping someone can help throw some light on this one.  Looks to be a small trinket or dressing table dish, around 5 inches wide and 1.5 inches high. Has a frosted glass image of a young woman, which is shown in relief on the reverse. Has a beveled edge to the base and lots of surface wear to the reverse.

Any thoughts on age, origin etc appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

:)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Small Intaglio cut dish - Frosted Image of young Woman - French..?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 12:27:04 PM »
I have something very similar with a monkey and I know that it is by VSL - so perhaps your white ape is from the same bestiary?

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 01:57:50 PM »
Thanks Ivo, does have some similarities to your VSL piece.

I've seen quite a few VSL dishes online with different animals on, which appear similar to your dish, although haven't yet seen any VSL dishes with the image of a young woman on. Although, when handling the glass it does remind me of other pieces of VSL I have come across before.

Out of interest, do the insides of your dish go straight up to the rim or do they tapper outwards slightly towards the rim..?

Thanks,
Greg

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 02:14:49 PM »
they're tapir'd  :ooh:

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 02:24:46 PM »
Thanks Ivo.

The sides on my dish go straight up to the rim. The majority of the VSL dishes with animal designs I have come across all appear to tapper outwards towards the rim. Having said that, I suspect that it could still well have been produced by VSL.  I just sent VSL a quick email, with a photo, so, hopefully, I will hear something back, all being well.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Greg

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 08:29:32 PM »
Just got an email reply back from VSL.  Apparently, this piece was not produced by them.

It does appear to have some age, looking at the wear on the base.  Any further ideas or suggestions most welcome.

Thanks,
Greg

Offline meegs

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 04:14:40 AM »
I'm not being very helpful with origin or age but I saw one of these dishes on Sunday at a flea market and was put off buying it by how scratched the base was, so much so that it detracted from the image.
I also wondered if it was quite a modern piece that had been maltreated as the scratches to me were not consistent with wear from age it also got me wondering if some glass is not as durable as other glass.
Cheers
meegs

Offline meegs

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 04:07:56 AM »
Hi Greg,

Having found at least 5 examples in (various scratched and unscratched states) of this dish in the last couple of months I finally found one with a label today; therefore I believe this piece was made by Hoya Crystal Japan.

Cheers
Meegs

Just for  the records this extract is from Hoya's website:
 HOYA CORPORATION terminated the Crystal Business on March 31, 2009. As the business terminates, HOYA CRYSTAL TOKYO, the Company's directly-owned retail shop was closed as of May 12, 2009.

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 05:35:46 AM »
Just saw this. Hoya under T. Yamamoto produced these "engraved" plates & smaller coaster sets for years & you could find them just about everywhere here in the U.S. in department stores & glass outlets like Mikasa & later on at T.J. Maxx & Saturday Morning stores in the mid 90's. Mostly they were floral designs then later on the designs covered various themes.

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 10:16:42 AM »
Thanks for that Meegs, good work!

I've also seen a handful around over here in the UK, some have been slightly different designs which would fit in with Ohio's info. All of the ones I have encountered have also been missing their labels, good to finally come across one with its label!

Thanks for letting me know, good to finally put this one to bed!

Many thanks,
Greg
 :clap:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand