No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: is this elephant of interest.  (Read 3508 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
is this elephant of interest.
« on: March 29, 2011, 06:35:22 PM »
not that I ever buy from ebay, but I notice that these things seem to be prolific on the sales sites - which seems odd since I seem to remember Anita once saying that elephants were not easy to sell.    Having looked thru the webb listings I don't see anything too similar, and just wondered if this might be a slightly older production.   The gold is definitely internal, and the height is about 5"/130mm.   Flat ground/polishd/bevelled base  - but unfortunately unmarked, although even I can guess that it must surely be Italian.    Would welcome any thoughts, and thanks for looking. :)

Offline pl79

• Members
Re: is this elephant of interest.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 08:37:42 PM »
The gold looks a lot like the gold in my partridges on the main message board, that I have been told are likely to be Seguso. Have a look see what you think.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 09:34:32 PM »
thanks for the reply, and would agree on the similarity of effect :)............quite consciously I try to stay away from things like this as I'm well out of my area of interest and knowedge.      I suspect that if you marver gold foil (is it genuine gold leaf they use?) into clear glass, then the resulting effect is likely to be fairly similar whatever article you are making, it's just the shape of the animal that is different.  I do know that real gold leaf is so thin that the very act of touching it will immediately disperse it, giving the effect you see in these pieces.      I believe that some of the larger more complex animals from known designers - have a good pedigree, and are well documented.    I'm also aware that more recent, cheaper tourist pieces have the gold painted on the outside  -  so I'd give those a miss.       Being vaguely aware that there are some glass animals, made by the big names, that can fetch thousands ($ or £) - I played safe when I saw this, and jumped in, although doubt that it's worth much more than I paid :cry:          I'm hoping Anita will have the time to comment.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 09:46:05 PM »
In the meantime Paul,  may I just add that I covet it....it is lovely, and I have a whole herd of ellies that would welcome it into their fold!! ;D
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 12:19:18 AM »
Paul, could we get a shot showing the face profile of the elephant. I suspect it's one of the kind that we may not be able to tell who made it. So many companies, both famous and obscure, made elephants in this pose. One thing I noticed is the separation of the feet, so I did consider Archimede Seguso. If we could see the profile of the face, it would be easier to tell.

Gold was used so commonly in Murano glass that it is, as you mentioned, not very helpful in identifying. The gold did make me think probably not V Nason because they didn't use gold too often. So many other companies did. I hope the face will tell us something.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 12:47:05 AM »
I found a couple of clear glass Seguso AV elephants with feet like yours, but the trunk was rolled at the end and divided into the two parts. Does the trunk of yours feel original?
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 08:36:21 AM »
thanks for your thoughts :)    Unfortunately, my elephant is 'faceless', completely, - so stylized in fact that the trunk is simply an extension of the body without any concession to facial features at all  -  a very simple beast  -  although you can see the separated feet.      I would probably always play safe with these things, however, and if the gold is internal, and the price cheap, buy a piece rather than get home and think you might have passed up something special ;D    thanks again to all.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 09:45:40 AM »
Nice clear pictures Paul....he seems to have too little detail for Seguso, in my experience, Seguso added eyes and would probably have made more a feature of the ears.  There is a Seguso / Poggi one on eBay at the moment that you might have seen....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380328413816&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123
A very similar stance to your ellie, but so much more detail.
Rosie.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 12:42:02 PM »
Thanks for the extra pictures, Paul. They gave a totally different look. The legs are together in the middle, which I can see now. I was thinking they were 4 separate entities. I agree with Rosie that it isn't Seguso. I believe it is a elephant that will probably have to sit on the unattributed shelf its entire life. It's a lonely shelf, I'm sure.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 02:01:36 PM »
He need not be lonely Paul....I have a shelf full of unattributed ellies....one more would always be welcome..... :hi:
Rosie.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand