No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Novy Bor und Umgebung - Haida, Arnsdorf, Lindenau, etc.  (Read 4730 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Novy Bor und Umgebung - Haida, Arnsdorf, Lindenau, etc.
« on: January 19, 2006, 11:12:29 PM »
Hi

My brother just came back from Prague, he knows I like glass so he bought me a book ‘Glas 1880 – 1930 (45) Bor und Umgebung’ it has some great pictures with lots of beautifully enamelled glass, cut glass, etched glass.

The best part takes up about a quarter of the book and lists over 340 makers and designers (often with labels or marks) mostly in the Haida area, also covers Arnsdorf, Burgstein, Sonnenburg, etc.

The book is in German, it was either Czech or German in the shops so I am taking a while to decipher. I take it that ‘Bor’ was a collective based in Haida with many manufacturers; Josef Blazek (Haida - Bor), Eiselt (Haida - Bor), Karl Goldberg (Haida - Bor), W Kulka (Haida - Bor), K Meltzer & Co (Skalice - Langenau), Salamon Reich & Co (Haida - Bor), Gebruder Zahn (Haida - Bor), E Zeuner (Arnultovice - Arnsdorf ) etc.

Anyone know the history of this area and it’s and glass – it does not surprise me that so much Bohemian glass from the 1900 to the 1940s gets misattributed – I mean all these makers in a small area, never mind the other parts of Czechoslovakia

The mind boggles

P.S. there is some Czech to German / German to Czech at back, so I don't know if the place names given are in German or Czech - they look German :roll:

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 11:24:24 PM »
Hi Adam,
My hubby speaks German  and "Bor und Umgebung" means Bor and surrounding area.
Haida was called Bor Uceske Lipy until 1946 and Novy Bor after 1946
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 12:41:33 AM »
Adam commented;
... it does not surprise me that so much Bohemian glass from the 1900 to the 1940s gets misattributed – I mean all these makers in a small area, never mind the other parts of Czechoslovakia
Quite so! But also add to that the extension over the mountains into what used to be Silesia (now part of Poland), where similar products were also made.
KevinH

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 02:19:51 AM »
Thanks Della

So this book including place names is in German - thanks for that information - good to know your husband speaks German :wink:

Of course you are right Kev - I forget about ‘Silesia’ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silesia and of course Austro Hungaria 1867 - 1918 - I know a lot of Bohemian glass gets called Austrian because of this period  - Then the First Czech Republic 1918 till 1938 borders and areas containing glass manufacturers must have changed, what about ‘Sudetenland’ it was a manufaturing area that was part owned by Czechs in this period - it's all a complex history that must have effected glass making

:shock:  :shock:  :roll:  :wink:

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand